Grants:PEG/Satdeep Gill/Punjabi Wiki Workshop Chandigarh/Report
- Report accepted
- To read the approved grant submission describing the plan for this project, please visit Grants:PEG/Satdeep Gill/Punjabi Wiki Workshop Chandigarh.
- You may still comment on this report on its discussion page, or visit the discussion page to read the discussion about this report.
- You are welcome to Email grants at wikimedia dot org at any time if you have questions or concerns about this report.
Punjabi Wikipedia Workshop, Chandigarh 16-17 October 2015 has been a great success.
Compliance and completionEdit
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
- Did you use any of the grant funds?
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
This section describes what the grantee did, and what the grantee learned from implementing the project. This section should be useful to others implementing similar projects and is an opportunity for the grantee to reflect on the project's performance.
- Provide a detailed list of activities performed to complete this project, descriptions of these activities, and the amount of time spent on each activity. This section should also include a list of participants, or a link to pictures, blog posts, or videos from the project or event.
- Idea of this workshop was conceived during Patiala meetup dated 8 August 2015. We did another meetup on 25 September 2015 to discuss the schedule of the program. Two pre-workshop meetups were organized to discuss about the workshop with the Punjabi Department host institution. First pre-workshop meetup was done in order to book the conference hall and accommodation. Second pre-workshop meetup was done to make sure everything was up to mark.
16 October 2015Edit
|Workshop Schedule DAY 1|
|10:00 AM - 11:00 AM||Registration|
|11:00 AM - 12:00 PM||Wikipedia and Punjabi Wikipedia||Charan Gill||Charan Gill gave an introduction about Punjabi Wikipedia to the gathering and he gave a presentation demonstrating the kind of work that has been done in Punjabi Wikipedia.|
|12:00 PM - 01:00 PM||Scope and Problems of Punjabi Wikipedia||Harvinder Singh||Harwinder gave a presentation as well in which he elaborated on Punjabi-Western Punjabi Wikipedia, about how there can be a collaboration done in both these languages in order to share each other's work.|
|01:00 PM - 02:00 PM||WIKI-LUNCH|
|02:00 PM - 02:30 PM||Introductory Session||In this session, there were multifarious older and new wikipedians who came to take part in this workshop. So, this time was for everyone's introduction.|
|02:30 PM - 03:30 PM||Wikipedia Edit-a-thon||An edit-a-thon was conducted in which everyone was directed to edit a line or a word edit or correction of spellings. Main focus was to teach editing to the new users.|
|03:30 PM - 04:30 PM||References and Categories||Parveer Grewal||Parveer introduced PROVELT and HOTCAT tools to add references and categories to an article.|
|04:30 PM - 05:00 PM||WIKI-TEA|
|05:00 PM - 05:30 PM||100wikidays||Manavpreet Kaur||Manavpreet had recently completed her 100wikidays challenge.She a presentation about her journey. This session was rated most popular session in the feedback of workshop.|
|05:30 PM - 06:30 PM||Infoboxes||Gaurav Jhammat||Gaurav enlightened everyone on how to add a infobox to any article.|
|06:30 PM - 07:00 PM||Talkpages and Village Pump||Babandeep Singh||Babandeep discussed about talk pages and village pumps.|
17 October 2015Edit
|Workshop Schedule DAY 2|
|08:00 AM - 09:00 AM||Breakfast|
|09:00 AM - 10:00 AM||Wikimedia India Chapter||Yohann Thomas||Yohann told everyone about Wikimedia India Chapter and also how it works.|
|10:00 AM - 11:00 AM||Content Translation||Satdeep Gill||Satdeep introduced a new tool Content Translation that was almost new for everyone. There was a edit-a-thon in which everyone tried out this tool. This tool has become very popular in our community after this workshop.|
|11:00 AM - 11:30 AM||WIKI-TEA|
|11:30 AM - 12:30 PM||Visual Editor||Satdeep Gill||Satdeep had a session in which he introduced Visual Editor.|
|12:30 PM - 01:00 PM||Wikimedia Commons||Lillottama Valecha||One of most needed session of workshop and Lillottama gave a presentation after which she gave a demo on 'How to upload a file on wikicommons;.|
|01:00 PM - 02:00 PM||WIKI-LUNCH|
|02:00 PM - 03:00 PM||Punjabi Wiktionary||Babandeep Singh||Wiktionary has been going on at comparatively slower rate than other indic-languages Wikipedia. Baban gave a presentation and demo based session, after which an edit-a-thon was held. This workshop helped in motivating one of the member of punjabi communinity user named Stalinjeet to start 100wikidays in Punjabi Wiktionary.|
|03:00 PM - 04:00 PM||Sister Projects of Wikipedia||Gaurav Jhammat||Gaurav gave introduction about other sister projects of Wikipedia.|
|04:00 PM - 04:30 PM||Wiki Competitions||Parveer Grewal||Parveer enlightened about other previously held wikipedia competitions like 'wikilovesfood', 'wikilovesmonuments' along with 'Featured article of the day' and 'Featured picture of day'.|
|04:30 PM - 05:00 PM||WIKI-TEA|
|05:00 PM - 05:30 PM||Wikiconference India 2016||Satdeep Gill||Satdeep apprised everyone about Wikiconference India that is expected to take place next year. He took a poll on the spot on whether Punjabi community was willing to organize it or not and after consensus every person signed on meta page of WCI.|
|05:30 PM - 06:00 PM||Word of Thanks and Certificate Distribution||Charan Gill||Charan Gill gave a feedback of workshop and said words of thanks. Participants of the workshop received their participation certificates and after this joyful session, workshop was ended. It was really a memorable experience for Punjabi Wikipedians.|
Participants with Edit countEdit
|Description of the Editathon during the workshop|
(Total - 225)
|Atai Singh Sandhu||4||1359|
|Kawal preet pu||19||7806|
|Dr. Manavpreet Kaur||7||3948|
- What lessons were learned that may help others succeed in similar projects? Consider the following questions and respond with 1 - 2 paragraphs.
- What went well?
- We tried learning pattern Mix newcomers and veterans during edit-a-thon and it proved to be very effective. New users were able to learn basics of Wikipedia with this. We had a list of articles on etherpad and editors were given an option to choose an article from the list or any article of their choice. We also had a number of published reference material related to these articles and they were used in the subsequent sessions when we were teaching how to add references to existing articles.
- Almost all the sessions started with a presentation on a given topic and editors were taught to implement the tool learned in the time left. This also proved effective as editors were able to try the lesson learned right after every presentation.
- What did not go well?
- Two organizers had to miss the introductory because they had to go and make sure that accommodation has been taken care of. We had to interchange two sessions but that was due to unforeseen problem caused by power cut. We were not able to get accommodation for everybody at one single location and had to accommodate them in different buildings.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- Some editors felt that a 3 or 4-day workshop could have been organized instead. Two separate sessions for existing and new editors could have been organized. We should have started planning with 2-3 months in hand. We would not fix the date while applying for a grant and would keep it flexible. We will just finalize the month first and then decide the dates according to the dates available at the venue.
Project goal and measures of successEdit
This section should reference the project goals and measures of success described in the approved grant submission. See Grants:PEG/Satdeep Gill/Punjabi Wiki Workshop Chandigarh to review the goals and metrics listed in the approved submission.
- Provide the project goal here.
- The goal of this project was to gather existing Punjabi Wikimedians as well to bring new editors.
- We also wanted to tell the editors about the sister projects of Wikipedia.
- We wanted to teach new tools such as Content Translation, VisualEditor etc. to existing users.
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 paragraphs.
- Yes, we think that we achieved our project goal.
- We were able to gather many existing editors and we brought many new editors.
- Punjabi Wiktionary has become a lot active after the workshop and some users have started contributing regularly.
- Use of Content Translation has also increased.
Translators on Content TranslationEdit
No. of Punjabi Translators grew from 9 to 18 during the workshop. As of 4 November 2015, total number of Punjabi Translators in 23.
Measures of successEdit
- List the measures of success exactly as provided in the approved grant submission, and evaluate your project according to each measure listed there.
- Gathering of around 20 existing Punjabi Wikipedians. 3-4 such editors can be asked to attend who have been inactive lately but have contributed significantly in the past.
- Around 50 students participating in the Workshop with around 5 new accounts. There will be some edits on that very day as they will be taught to edit and they will attend other training sessions as well.
- This workshop aims in increasing participation from Chandigarh as well as to train editors. We will ask participants to fill a survey after the workshop. By this we can see how many people have started using new tools.
- News reporting in reputed newspapers.
- We have plans to follow up with new editors as we already have two active editors from Chandigarh. One of them, Gaurav Jhammat, studies at the host institute. We might plan some of our future meetups in Chandigarh to follow up as well.
- Provide an overall assessment of how your project went according to these measures.
1. We were able to gather 19 existing Punjabi Wikimedians. 3 other Wikimedians were unable to attend the event due to unrest in some areas of Punjab in those days.
2. We were able to gather more than 50 participants for the opening session of Introduction. 21 new accounts were created during the workshop. The no. of edits and absolute number of bytes is listed below.
3. We sent survey forms to check how people are using new tools. Out of the existing editors 15 editors filled the form. Here are some statistics that we come across according to the survey form.:
4. We got a news reporting in Hindustan Times which is a reputed English newspaper of India and we also got a news reporting in a Punjabi newspaper.
5. 5 Punjabi Wikimedians participated in Chandigarh meetup and discussed mainly about hosting WikiConference India 2016 in Chandigarh city. Some font issues were discussed as well.
- If you were to plan a similar project, would you measure it differently? If yes, please explain how.
- Our community needs to learn about different measures of success used by other communities and then maybe we can measure our success in a better way.
This section ties this project to Wikimedia's broader goals, and shows what the project accomplished.
- What impact did this project have on WMF's mission and the strategic goals? Please answer in 1 -2 paragraphs and include specific measures of impact such as the number of readers or editors reached by a particular project, or the number of articles edited or improved.
- Increased involvement and participation in the organized Wikipedia event.
- For the first time ever in Punjabi Wiki Community about 40 individuals get involved. Out of which 21 editors were new to Wikipedia.
- After this workshop number of editors in Punjabi Wikipedia increased remarkably. Some of the editors have started editing regularly like User:Param munde and User:Stalinjeet.
- Param munde likes to edit in topics related to Physics and ever since this workshop, he has been editing regularly. He created 8 articles in ten months after creating his first article and the number of articles created by him has increased quite substantially to 161 articles.
- Stalinjeet has started editing on Wiktionary. He is editing it regularly and he has started 100wikidays on Punjabi Wiktionary.
- User:Sukhjinderpu is a new editor from Chandigarh. He has done 125 edits on Punjabi Wikipedia and 20 on English Wikipedia since the workshop.
|1. Number of active editors involved||16||All the users who had at least 5 or more edits from July 1 to July 30 (the event was July 31)|
|2. Number of new editors||21||These were editors who created usernames two weeks before the event, up to the end of the event.|
|3. Number of individuals involved||40||All new and active editors who attended, plus volunteers who organized the event.|
|4a. Number of new media added to Wikimedia articles.||-|
|4b. Number of new media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons. (Optional)||5||1 by Nitesh Gill and 4 by Lillottama|
|5. Number of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||44 + 18||44 new articles created on Punjabi Wikipedia plus 18 entries on Punjabi Wiktionary|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||106564 Bytes (104 KB)||29 editors edited wikipedia during this workshop. total edits were 225.|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- We got the participants to fill a feedback form and all of them said that they received motivation to contribute to Wikimedia projects. Some of them also felt the need to organize more workshops like this to train more editors.
Reporting and documentation of expendituresEdit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
- These expenses should be listed in the same format as the budget table in your approved submission so that anyone reading this report may be able to easily compare budgeted vs. actual expenses.
- Note that variances in the project budget over 10% per expense category must be approved in advance by WMF Grants Program staff. For all other variances, please provide an explanation in the table below.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Venue||Conference Hall||1 Hall||2 Days||3500||7000||7000||INR||Estimate was 2500 for one day.|
|2||Food and Beverages||Tea and Biscuits for 2 Days||1 Cup of Tea||220||15||3300||3300||INR|
|3||Food & Beverages||Lunch for 2 Days||Per person||82||142||11644||11644||INR|
|4||Food & Beverages||Breakfast Day 1||Per person||16||40||640||640||INR|
|5||Food & Beverages||Dinner Day 1||-||-||-||2450 + 270||2720||INR||Around 20 editors went out for Dinner and 4 participants preferred to eat at the place of accommodation.|
|6||Food & Beverages||Dinner Day 2||-||-||-||1619 + 270||1889||INR||Around 15 editors went out for Dinner and 4 participants preferred to eat at the place of accommodation.|
|7||Accomodation||Rooms Day 1||Twin sharing basis||7||300||2100||2100||INR|
|8||Accomodation||Rooms Day 2||Twin sharing basis||6||300||1800||1800||INR|
|12||Miscellaneous||Water Bottles||1||8 cartons||140||1020||1020||INR|
|15||Meetup||Pre-Workshop Meetup||By personal petrol car + Food||1||-||450 + 217||667||INR||Cost of petrol at 65 rupee per liter for 140 kms|
|16||Meetup||Pre-Workshop Meetup||By personal petrol car + Food||1||-||450 + 484||934||INR||Cost of petrol at 65 rupee per liter for 140 kms|
|17||Printing||Posters for promotion||1||60||15||900||900||INR|
|18||Printing||Banners||1||2 + 2||-||2850||2850||INR||2 vertical banners (1000/- each) + 2 horizontal banners (250/-) + 14% service tax|
|19||Logistics||Travel Scholarships||1||Person to Person||-||4330||4330||INR||We gave 14 scholarships.|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 90,000 INR
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission)
- 90,000 INR (Received 89,629 INR on 15-Oct-2015)
- Total amount spent on this project (this total should be the total calculated from the table above)
- 47,428 INR
- Total amount of WMF grant funds spent on this project (this total will be the same as the total amount spent if the WMF grant is your only funding source)
- 47,428 INR
- Are there additional sources of revenue that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- 42,201 INR
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- We intend to write a new grant request in which funds remaining from this request can be used and we can ask for more funds if required.