Grants:PEG/Satdeep Gill/Punjabi Wikimedians Infrastructure Support
Our goal is to increase the media related to Punjab region and Punjabi culture.
As of now at-least 6 editors have shown interest in taking photographs for Wikimedia Commons and all of them have tried contributed pictures to commons. We believe that the quality of the pictures will improve significantly with a DSLR camera for the community.
Some pictures taken by editorsEdit
In the category of Punjabi story writers on Punjabi Wikipedia, Only 42 out of 104 articles contain an image. Many out of these 42 are fair-use low resolution images.
Only one out of eight articles in the category villages of Patiala disrtict on English Wikipedia contain an image.
We have tried searching flickr for images of villages of Patiala and none of the 849 images is available under a CC license.
- We plan to photograph famous Punjabi personalities.
- We will also be documenting various villages of Punjab by taking pictures and some interviews as well.
- Interviews might be considered oral citations as well.
- We will be visiting various villages of Punjab during the project and we will start with Patiala district where most of the editors reside.
- We have been offered to do a GLAM event at the palace of the King of Patiala.
- This camera will be used for WikiConference India 2016 along with Pre-conference and post-conference activities as well.
- We are contacting some professional photographers who will be imparting skills to the community besides themselves contributing to Wikimedia Commons.
- We will be photographing many of the objects according to the availability on Wikimedia projects. We will also make it mandatory for editors to make sure that they should use the images on various Wikimedia projects.
I, being the grantee, will make sure the camera is handled with care by everyone. We plan to have a specific logbook to keep record of the person who took the camera with the dates. The editor has to take full responsibility of any fault that might occur due to mishandling. We will lending it to trusted Wikimedians who have been attending meetups in the past. Entirely new Wikimedians will not be given the camera straightaway.
- Punjabi Wikimedia projects.
- Wikimedia articles related to Punjab and Punjabi culture on Wikimedia projects in other languages.
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
- Increasing quality
- We will be increasing the quality of existing Wikipedia articles by adding media related to Punjab and Punjabi culture.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG Program Resources for suggested measures of success. Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- At least 500 images on Wikimedia Commons in the next 6 months
- At least 100 images to be used in various Wikimedia projects
- Hoping to get some pictures selected as good pictures as well
Resources and risksEdit
- Previous photography experience of various editors (We are planning to get support from some professional photographers.)
- Using the images on Wikipedia articles is a big challenge.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget tableEdit
- Canon/Sony DSLR - ~ 38,000 INR
- Sony 64 GB card - 2,200 INR
- 2-year accidental damage warranty - 4,100 INR
- Tripod - 2,000 INR
- Carry Bag - 2,000 INR
- Total - 48,000 INR = 720 USD
Total cost of projectEdit
Total amount requestedEdit
Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants Program.
Additional sources of revenueEdit
Additional sources of revenue, other than the Project and Event Grants Program, that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded.
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- Djvideo 220.127.116.11 08:17, 2 February 2018 (UTC)