Grants:PEG/Pleclown/Youth Olympic Games 2016
- Produce quality content for Wikipedia and the sister projects, in the form of media files (mostly pictures), as described above;
- Provide insights on how we (as a movement and as individuals) could work on big events (Learning patterns), and try to get the "Wikimedia trademark" recognized as a player in sport photography.
In 2016, thanks to WMCH's direct involvement, I have been officially accredited by the Olympic Committee as a photographer for the Winter Youth Olympics. This is a huge opportunity for the movement, as I will be able to photograph young athletes and provide pictures for their articles and for the represented sports articles. As the final schedule is not yet released, it's hard to evaluate the number of events I will be able to attend, but I will attend at least one per day of competition (and try to do more). Based on my experience, I think I will be able to provide around 150 high quality pictures per event. This could also be a foot-in-the-door kind of situation, offering other Wikimedian photographers an opportunity to be accredited for later IOC-organized events. But this type of investment, however, goes a lot beyond the kind of financial support that WMCH can offer (or that I would want to ask from them).
Commons, and all the wikipedias willing to use high quality images of winter sports.
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
Increasing quality, by providing high quality of winter sports and young athletes, in a world wide known event.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success.
I think I'll be able to attend at least one event per day during ten days, and provide around 150 images per event.
From the pictures taken, WMCH will communicate with the community to encourage the creation of biographies of people who respect the encyclopedia’s admissibility criteria.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risksEdit
- I'm an active Commonist, specialized in sport photography. Active for about 4 years, I've been accredited to numerous sports events, including :
- I've achieved this thanks to Wikimedia CH' support, who has provided me with an email address and financial support when needed.
- Overall this has led to approximately 6500 pictures uploaded over the past 4 years, and 3131 articles directly improved because of my sport-related work (I have uploaded around 107000 files over the past 4 years, used in 4215 articles ). Most of the time, as for instance with several players involved in the past Rugby World Cup, the only available illustration for articles pertaining to players are mine. I should add that I have 7 commons:Featured pictures and 641 commons:Quality images under my belt.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget table:
|Item||Unit||Unit Cost USD||Total USD||Notes|
|Air travel||1||300||300||round trip airfare from Geneva to Oslo|
|Accomodation in Lillehammer||10||hotel booked via YOG organization|
|Accommodation in Oslo||1||110||110|
|Meals||22||25||550||Lunch and dinner|
|1||(Canon 6D or Canon 7D mkII)|
Total : $4,665 I currently own a Canon 7D mkII with two lenses : an EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM and an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM. The additional camera body would permit me to have each lenses on a camera at the same time, allowing me to shoot portraits and action shots easily. After the event, the camera body and all the gear will join the Wikimedia CH equipment pool.
- Total cost of project
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- Wikimedia CH via microgrant: 500 CHF
- Personal funds
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- I believe Clément would be a fantastic candidate for this PEG application. A talented sports photographer and an active contributor, he would provide qualitative content on the WIkimedia projects and would be a fantastic ambassador for the Wikimedia movement. Gabrielle Marie WMCH (talk) 12:14, 18 December 2015 (UTC)
- Clément has demonstrated his valuable contributions in Commons. Moumou82 (talk) 18:52, 25 December 2015 (UTC)
- I strongly believe that Clément could bring a lof of adding value with this project. It's also a very good opportunity for the Wikimedia movement. Erdrokan (talk) 19:24, 25 December 2015 (UTC)
- I'm sure Pleclown will make great pictures of this event. Thibaut120094 (talk) 01:10, 26 December 2015 (UTC)
- I'm sure he will take a lot of valuable pictures at the event. --Steinsplitter (talk) 10:29, 26 December 2015 (UTC)
- I think that he will be perfect for this event, with all that experience -- Le grand Célinien (talk) 14:50, 26 December 2015 (UTC)
- Pleclown has an history of producing high quality pictures of sport. --PierreSelim (talk) 17:25, 26 December 2015 (UTC)
- Valued and valuable contributor. Can be trusted to bring back excellent material and not be an embarassement to us all. Popo le Chien (talk) 15:53, 28 December 2015 (UTC)