Τα αιτήματα για επιχορήγηση θα πρέπει να υποστηρίζουν την αποστολή και τις στρατηγικές προτεραιότητες. Το WMF ευνοεί τα καινοτόμα και υψηλής επίπτωσης αιτήματα και επιδιώκει να αυξήσει τις δυνατότητες του κάθε επιχορηγούμενου να αναπτύξει και να εφαρμόσει προγράμματα και συνεργασίες.
Examples of mission-aligned project submissions are: an article contribution competition, outreach activities to recruit and train new contributors, partnership activities with GLAMs, and efforts to add local content to the projects.
For a list of all past submissions, see Grants:PEG/Requests.
The Grant Advisory Committee and WMF staff review applications based on the following criteria:
- The fit with the mission and strategic priorities of Wikimedia.
- The potential for impact in the targeted Wikimedia projects (e.g. Spanish Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons). What would the activities improve? What would be created or changed thanks to the work enabled by the grant?
- The availability and readiness of volunteers and the availability of other non-financial resources required to implement the activities. Would the applicants be reasonably likely to be able to deliver the expected results? Is the scale commensurate to the size of the team and volunteer base? Has this been demonstrated?
- The track-record of the applicant(s) in managing grants (where applicable).
- The degree to which the activities would add new knowledge to or spur innovation in the Wikimedia movement (ensuring that the activities are not based on models already proven ineffective).
- How efficiently funds would be used.
- The quality of the proposed measures of success. Are they actually measurable?
- The sustainability of impact beyond the duration of the activities. Would the work keep on giving? Would the new infrastructure/capacity fuel subsequent work?