Grants:APG/Proposals/2014-2015 round2/Wikimedia Armenia/Proposal form
If you need to review the edit instructions you will find them in the editintro.
- Use this form if you are eligible to submit a proposal in the current round, to request funding in the current round.
- This form must be published on Meta by the proposal submission date for each round to be considered, and no changes may be made after the submission date without staff approval.
- This form complements your organization's annual plan, detailed budget, and strategic plan. It won't be considered complete without those documents.
- Organizations may apply for a funding period that does not exactly match their fiscal years. Follow the instructions carefully to understand what time period each question refers to.
- Refer to the framework, guidance from the Board, and the FDC's recommendations before using this form, so you have an understanding of the Annual Plan Grants process.
- Please Email FDCSupport@Wikimedia.org with questions about using the form.
A few terms used in the form:
FDC proposal form terms Wikimedia terms Learning & Evaluation terms
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period that can be used as a summary of your proposal. (This should be about 200 words, and should be easy for anyone to understand.)
Wikimedia Armenia was founded in May 2013 and is a chapter of Wikimedia Foundation. It has the goal of promoting free knowledge and Wikimedia projects, as well as attracting new Wikimedians in Armenia and in the region.
Wikimedia Armenia closely cooperates with educational organizations. The goal of this cooperation is to get individuals involved in Wikipedia Education program and support collaboration between them in a wiki environment. In order to attract and involve more professionals of different educational and scientific institutions, WM AM started a new project called "Wiki loves Science"․ To spread the wiki culture among more communities, WM AM began establishing Wikiclubs, which will allow us to implement Wikipedia Education Program and other projects outside the capital over the next few years.
One of the goals of WM AM this year is the establishment and development of Western Armenian Wikipedians' community, in order to improve the article quality in Western Armenian, as well as find possible ways to open Western Armenian Wikipedia.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: «Վիքիմեդիա Հայաստան» գիտակրթական ՀԿ
- Organization's fiscal year: 01/01-12/31
- 12-month funding period requested: 07/01/2015-06/30/2016
- Currency requested: AMD
- Name of primary contact: Susanna Mkrtchyan, Lilit Tarkhanyan
- 3. Amount requested.
Kindly use the currency exchange rates provided by the FDC staff. Also, please use the following numerical format: 1,222.04
|Total expenses for the upcoming year||66,140,285||138,895|
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year||58,997,428||123,895|
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year||
- 1- Wikimedia Armenia has three PEGs WM AM 2014 Annual grant (funded on 25 August 2014) and Wiki Camp 2015 (funded on 24 March 2015) but the fund of the latter we haven't received yet.
- 4. Please explain your organization's rationale if your revenues or total annual expenses will change significantly this year.
- WM AM applies for APG for the first time. We plan to continue all our projects and programs started in 2014-2015. However, there is definite change in the amount of requested money compared to the amount requested by Annual grant. The reason is we want to hire 2 staff (each 0.5 FTE) in 2015-2016 - Program manager and administrator. We also budgeted money for operating activities which was previously covered by Intellectual Renaissance Foundation.
Community engagement edit
This section provides the FDC an overview of your organization's work with volunteers and online contributors.
- 1. Which Wikimedia community or communities does your organization work with most closely, and which online Wikimedia project or projects does your organization's work support?
- Wikimedia Armenia works closely with Armenian-language Wikimedia communities (both Eastern and Western Armenian) and is focusing mainly on Armenian Wikipedia community. From the beginning of this year we work also on the projects which promote the development of Armenian Wiktionary and Armenian Wikisource.
- See media coverage of Wikimedia Armenia
- 2. How does your organization know what community members / contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments? How else does your organization consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
- Wikimedia Armenia organizes regular meet-ups with Armenian editors of Wikimedia projects, as well as with the organization members, during which we discuss the needs of the community, what we need for further development of our community, whether we are on the right way or no, etc. Besides these in-person meetings, different discussions are held via WM AM mailing list which is one of the main ways of informing the editors about WM AM ongoing projects.
Organization planning and reports edit
Please provide links to your organization’s planning documents and reports. All of these documents are required unless otherwise indicated.
Your organization's strategic planning documents, past reports, and current annual planning documents, are essential to our understanding of your organization's proposal. If you think you will have difficulty submitting any of these documents with your organization's proposal form by the proposal submission deadline, you should contact FDC staff right away. You may also provide notes to this table here, as well as links to any supplementary documents to this proposal form.
Completed fiscal year Current year Upcoming year Annual plan (including budget) -1 2014 annual grant1 2015-2016 Annual plan Community discussion around annual plan - Internal mailing list of WM AM, General Assembly, Board monthly meetings Internal mailing list of WM AM, General Assembly, Board monthly meetings Annual report (including financial report) Annual grant Interim Report, Monthly reports, 2014 Financial report Not required. Not required. Strategic plan Strategy for 2013-2018 Strategy for 2013-2018 Strategy for 2013-2018
Table 2 notes:
- 1 - Wikimedia Armenia was established in May 2013. No annual plan was created for 2013.
Financials: year-to-date progress edit
The purpose of this section is to give the FDC an idea of how your organization is receiving funds and spending funds against your current plan.
- Current funding period: This is the funding period currently progress on 31 March 2015, according to the upcoming funding period you defined in the overview section. This is a 12-month period. For organizations new to the APG process, this will be the 12 months before your upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 July 2014 to 30 June 2015).
- Year-to-date funding period: This is the period between the start of your current funding period and 1 March 2015. This period may be less than 12 months, since its length will depend on when your current funding period begins.
- Projected revenues and expenses: This is the entire amount you plan to receive and spend by the time your current funding period ends. Your projected year is the same as your current year, which is a 12-month period.
Current funding period planned / budgeted Year-to-date funding period actuals Projected end of current funding period In currency requested In $US In currency requested In $US In currency requested In $US Revenues (from all sources) 24,712,8571 58,0621 24,712,857 58,062 50,453,3572 113,899.332 Expenses 50,453,357 113,899.33 8,774,5983 18,426.66 3 50,453,357 113,899.33
Table 3 notes:
- 1 - 1 PEG - Annual grant (17,570,000 AMD, 43,062 USD) and 15,000 USD from Calouste Gulbenkian foundation
- 2 - 2 PEGs - Anuual grant (17,570,000 AMD, 43,062 USD), Wikicamp 2015 (25,740,500 AMD, 55,837.33 USD) and 15,000 USD from Calouste Gulbenkian foundation. Wikicamp grant amount has not been received yet.
- 3 - 6,346,027 AMD (Amount spent from Annual grant) and 2,428,571 AMD (Amount spent from Calouste Gulbenkian foundation grant)
Programs: upcoming year's annual plan edit
This section is about your organization's programs. Please do not include information about your organization's operating activities in this section. You are welcome to provide information about activities like administration, staff and board training, fundraising, governance, and internal IT in another section of this proposal form or in a supplementary document. Please answer all four questions for each program.
Wiki Loves Science
Wikipedia in Western Armenian
Wiki loves monuments
Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual plan edit
- 1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, or provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram.
The supreme body of Wikimedia Armenia is the General Assembly, which has a right to make a final decision on any question related to the activities of the Organization. WM AM consists of a Board and the President. The Board has 6 members.
The administrative employer's responsibilities:
- Set up and maintain electronic and paperwork for WM AM and its programs;
- Responsible for the administrative organization of wiki workshops, seminars, meetings and events (including preparation of invitations, agenda, travel booking, etc.);
- Support external communications including (but not limited to) the general public, local and international NGOs, the media, etc.
The program manager's responsibilities:
- Lead operational implementation of WM AM projects and manage relations with different organizations and individuals to attract interest for the projects goal;
- Structure and coordinate WM AM projects activities, etc;
- Guid volunteers in their work.
- 2. List of staff by department or function.
- You can use this table (or substitute your own list) to show us the number of FTEs (fulltime equivalents) for each department or function, where one person working at 100% time would be counted as 1.0. We need this information about the total number of staff (FTEs) you will have hired by the end of the current funding period, and staff you will have hired by the end of the proposed funding period.
FTEs Department or function End of current funding period End of upcoming funding period Explanation of changes Administration 0 0.5 New staff - administrator Program management 0 0.5 New staff - program manager Total (should equal the sum of the rows): 0 1 Total staff expenses (currency requested) 0 6,889,728 Total staff expenses ($US) 0 14,468
Table 4 notes or explanation of significant changes:
- This is the first time WM AM applies for APG. We would like to have two 0.5 FTEs (1.0 in total) for two staff - administrator and program manager.
- 3. How much does your organization expect to spend on staff during the current funding period, or in the twelve month period before your proposed grant will start (e.g. 1 July 2014 to 30 June 2015), in currency requested and US dollars?
- 0 AMD (0 USD)
- 4. How much does your organization expect to spend on staff during the proposed funding period (e.g. 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016), in currency requested and US dollars?
- 6,889,728 AMD (14,468 USD)
Financials: upcoming year's annual plan edit
Detailed budget: upcoming year's annual plan edit
- Please link to your organization's detailed budget showing planned revenues and expenses for the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 July 2015 and 30 June 2016). This may be a document included on this Wiki (Meta) or as a publicly available spreadsheet.
Revenues: upcoming year's annual plan edit
This section is about your organization's anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period you defined in the Overview section (e.g. 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016).
- 1. Does your organization plan to draw on its operating reserves during the upcoming funding period to support its expenses? If so, please provide the amount you intend to draw from your reserves here. This should not be included as revenue in the table below.
- Currently WM AM has no operating reserves.
- 2. Please use this table to list your organization's anticipated revenues (income, or the amount your organization is bringing in) by revenue source (where the revenue is coming from) in the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 July 2015 and 30 June 2016). Use the status column to show if this funding is already guaranteed, if you are in the process of requesting funding, or if you are planning to request funding at a later time. Please feel free to include in-kind donations and resources in this table, as applicable, but use the status column to show that they are in-kind resources.
Anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period Revenue source Currency requested US dollars Status (e.g. guaranteed, application) Wikimedia Foundation 58,997,428 123,895 Requested Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian 7,142,857 15,000 Guaranteed Total revenues (should equal the sum of the rows): 66,140,285 138,895 -
Table 5 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.
- 30,000 USD grant was funded by Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian (Calouste Gulbenkian foundation) for "Wikimedia in Western Armenian" project to establish and develop Western Armenian Wikipedia community. 15,000 USD will be spent from 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016.
Operating reserves: upcoming year's annual plan edit
Please use this section to report information about your organization's current and planned operating reserves.
- 1.How much does or will your organization have in operating reserves on each of these dates?
Total amount of operating reserves. Currency requested US dollars 1 March 2015 0 0 End of the current funding period (e.g. 30 June 2015). 0 0 End of the upcoming funding period (e.g. 30 June 2016). 0 0
- 2. Does your organization have a reserves policy in place, or a strategy about maintaining, reducing or adding to your reserves? Please share your organization's thinking about reserves here in one or two sentences, or by sharing a link to your organization's more detailed policy.
- It is the first time that WM AM is applying for APG. WM AM was previously funded only by PEG grants and no reserves have been built up. We are not sure about the amount that could possibly be saved as reserve.
- 3. If your organization plans to use FDC funding to increase its reserves in the upcoming funding period, please list the amount of FDC funding your organization will use to build its reserves here (in the currency requested and in US dollars). Please note that there is a policy that places some restrictions on how much FDC funding your organization can use to build its reserves.
Expenses: upcoming year's annual plan edit
- 1. Expenses by program (excludes staff and operations).
- Program expenses are the costs associated specifically with your organization's programs. These costs do not include operating expenses or staff salaries, which will be described in separate tables. For example, program expenses may be the costs of an event, the costs of outreach materials specific to a program, budgets for microgrants and reimbursements, or technical costs associated with specific programs. The programs listed in this table should correspond to the programs you have listed in the programs section of this proposal form.
Program / initiative In currency requested In $US Digitization 100,000 210 Education program 308,000 647 Western Armenian1 7,142,8571 15,0001 Wiki Loves Science 5,066,000 10,639 Wikiclubs 650,000 1,365 Wiki Loves Monuments 1,566,000 3,289 International involevement 6,160,000 12,936 Cummunity support 4,686,000 9,841 GLAM 62,000 130 Summer and Winter Wikicamps 2016 29,646,500 62,258 Total program expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 55,387,357 116,315
Table 7 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds for specific programs, please make a note of that here.
- 1 - Costs (7,142,857 AMD, 15,000 USD) will be covered by Calouste Gulbenkian foundation grant for "Western Armenian in Wikipedia" project (See Program section for details).
- 2. Total expenses. Please use this table to summarize your organization's total expenses overall.
- These are divided into three expenses categories: (1) staff expenses from Table 4 (including staff expenses for both staff working on programs and operations), (2) expenses for programs from Table 7 (does not include staff expenses or operations expenses), and (3) expenses for operations (does not include staff expenses or program expenses). Be sure to check the totals in this table to make sure they are consistent with the totals in the other tables you have submitted with this form. For example, your total program expenses excluding staff will be equal to the total in Table 7, while your total staff expenses will be equal to the total in Table 4 and your total expenses will be equal to the total in Table 1.
Expense type In currency requested In $US Program expenses (total from Table 7, excludes staff) 55,387,3571 116,315 Operations (excludes staff and programs) 3,863,200 8,113 Upcoming staff total expenses (from Table 4) 6,889,728 14,468 Amount to be added to operating reserves (if applicable) Total expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 66,140,285 138,895
Table 8 notes:
- 1 - 7,142,857 AMD, (15,000 USD) from program expanses will be covered by Calouste Gulbenkian foundation grant for "Western Armenian in Wikipedia" project (See Program section for details).
Verification that this proposal requests no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation for political or legislative activities edit
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. Grants for such activities (when permitted under U.S. law and IRS regulations) should be sought from the Wikimedia Foundation Project and Event Grants Program.
I verify that this proposal requests no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation for political or legislative activities YES
Once this proposal is complete, please sign below with the usual four tildes.
Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing.
- "Wiki loves science" launches, ArmenPress, October 25
- Cooperation With Wikimedia, Mesrobian High School
- Susanna Mkrtchyan introduced Wikimedia Armenia to Lebanese-Armenians community
- "Legislation: National Assembly of RA". Parliament.am. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- Nagorno-Karabakh is de jure part of Azerbaijan, but it is de facto independent republic. Azerbaijan has also no FoP. Read more about Nagorno-Karabakh in English Wikipedia.
- Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2014 Program
- BBC News. Armenia: Citizens urged to write Wikipedia entry each
- The Guardian: Armenians asked to write Wikipedia entries to promote culture