Grants:PEG/WM AM/Wiki Camp 2015
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful (2–3 sentences).
Armenian Wikicamp Vanadzor 2014 was recognized as the Wikimedia coolest project at Wikimania 2014, London. Having succeeded last year WM AM decided to organize wikicamps this year as well. (See the video of Summer Wikcamp 2014)
Wiki Camp 2015 main goal is the education, deepening wiki editing and translation skills of participants through contributing in Wikipedia, Wiktionary and other Wikimedia Projects. It will encourage very active student wikipedians from Armenian Wikipedia Education Program and attract newcomers from different cities of Armenia which will increase the reach of wiki movement and Wikipedia Education Program in the regions of Armenia. Due to the camp Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Wikisource and Commons will be enriched with quality content.
The Summer Wikicamps 2015 will be organized on June 21 - July 4, August 16-29 for 14-20 years old students. It would be great to have 2 guests from WMF and WMF Wikipedia Education Program team. As the camps are organized within Armenian Wikipedia Education program this event will be a great way to share experience, the participants will be encouraged and motivated seeing and having talks with special guests of the camp. The campers will learn how Wikipedia Education program works in other countries, their experiences, what success it has, how WMF supports Wikimovement, volunteering, creating and disseminating free knowledge.
- Wiki Camp organization team forming and regular meetings.
- Financial team - Susanna Mkrtchyan who is also responsible for finding an appropriate camp(s), press conference.
- Wiki team - Lilit Tarkhanyan, David Saroyan, Mher Bekaryan, Dato Abuladze, Azniv Stepanian who will be responsible for sources, lists and the themes based on which articles would be created in Armenian Wikipedia, Armenian Wictionary, Wikisource and files uploaded in commons. The team will also organize workshops during the camp, summarize daily results, etc. Lilit Tarkhanyan and David Saroyan will also be responsible for the camp document forming, application submitting, registrations, camp schedule. David Saroyan is also the responsible for the creation of Wiki Camp main pages on Wikipedia and Wiktionary.
- Technical team - Arsen Harutyunyan, Mher Bekaryan. They will be responsible for arrival and departure to the camp (buses, tours), uninterrupted work of the connection, wiki camp various materials design and print, etc.
- Team leaders group will be composed finally in a month. Now it's in process. They will be responsible for the division of the campers into groups, their accommodation in rooms, intellectual, sport and leisure games, various contests organization, campers healthcare, etc.
- Team leaders group responsible - Arsen Harutyunyan
- Finding an appropriate camp. The first camp will be organized at "Voske Getak" rest house, Aghveran, Kotayk province, the second one will probably be organized in Vanadzor.
- Wiki camp materials design and print. Polo shirts, banners, X-banners, flyers, camp tickets, certificates, badges, bookmarks will be designed and printed.
- Wiki Camp pages creation in Wikipedia and Wiktionary, choosing the themes for each day, lists of articles to be created and improved
- Choosing the group leaders.
- Organization of press conference.
- Make changes and approve the preliminary schedule of the camp.
- Acceptance of applications.
- Ticket booking for the Western Armenian speaker participants from Syria, Lebanon and Turkey.
- Meeting with parents of participants.
- Dividing the campers into groups and rooms, providing each group leader the list of campers in his/her group with their contacts.
- Agreement with operator, photographer national dance and song teacher.
- Ticket booking and meeting guests from WMF and Wikipedia Education program.
- In Wiki camp
- 3 workshops per day, 4 hours in total.
- Cultural events - national sing and dance lessons, poetry, drawing, humor.
- Sport and intellectual games.
- Summarizing the results of each day, giving points.
- Choosing best group & editor.
- Daily meetings of organization team.
- Sharing each day activities in social networks.
- 2 expeditions organization in each camp term.
Wiki Camp will increase reach of wiki projects in the regions of Armenia and in Armenian Diaspora. There will be wiki campers from many cities of Armenia as well as Armenians from Syria, Lebanon and Turkey. With the help of these participants we will spread wiki ideas and wiki editing in their home cities by organizing wiki workshops in their schools and universities afterwards.
- Armenian Wikipedia by creating and improving existing articles, enriching by Western Armenian content.
- Armenian Wiktionary by creating new entries (by that time we suppose to have all Armenian words improved on this project).
- Armenian Wikisource by proofreading books in Armenian. Attempting to include Wikisource in Armenian Wikipedia Education program as well.
- Commons by uploading Armenian pronunciations of Wiktionary words.
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
- Increase Participation
- Encourage our Wikipedia Education Program best students.
- Recruit new editors from high school students.
- Promote volunteering among students and experienced editors.
- Increase Reach
- By the help of new editors reach and involve new schools in Wikipedia Education Program.
- Increase spread wikimovement in Armenia and NKR. Increase number of involved cities with the aim of founding wikiclubs their.
- Improve Quality
- Improve quality of Wikimedia projects in Armenian language, enrich Wikipedia, Wiktionary by quality content, proofread pages in Wikisource.
- Enrich Commons by Armenian words pronunciation audio files.
- Increase editing and translation skills of young editors by the help of experienced Wikipedians.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG Program Resources for suggested measures of success. Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- 15 Western Armenian new users from Turkey, Lebanon and Syria.
- 10 Eastern Armenian new users
- 6000 articles created or improved in Armenian Wikipedia mostly translated from Russian or English Wikipedias
- 6600 entries created in Armenian Wiktionary
- 300 new articles in Western Armenian
- 2000 pages proofread in Armenian Wikisource
- 600 files uploaded in Wikimedia Commons (Armenian words pronunciation)
- 13,000,000 bytes added to wiki projects
- 100 participants editing 6 months after the event
- 10 participants will organize local events in their communities within a year after the camp
- 100 participants will attend local events in their communities within 6 months after the camp
Resources and risksEdit
Wikimedia Armenia has successfully organized 3 wikicamps - 2 Summer wikicamps (see Summer camps grant and grant report and 1 Winter wikicamp (see Winter wikicamp report in WM AM interim report under "Educational projects" section). Summer Wikicamps project was recognized as the coolest project of the year at Wikimania 2014, London. See also blogpost about Wikicamp on Wikimedia blog,
blogpost draft about Wikicamps organized by WM AM.
- List of team members
- Susanna Mkrtchyan - User:SusikMkr
- Lilit Tarkhanyan - User:Lilitik22
- David Saroyan - User:Դավիթ Սարոյան
- Mher Bekaryan - User:Beko
- Dato Abuladze - User:GeoO
Western Armenian responsible
- Azniv Stepanian - User:Azniv Stepanian
Team leaders group
- 5-8 team leaders will be known in a month
- Team leaders group responsible
- Arsen Harutyunyan - User:Արագի մեջ
- Other resources
- VivaCell-MTS mobile operator will provide free Internet.
- Intellectual Renaissance foundation will provide laptops for those campers, who will not have.
- Grant from Gulbenkian Foundation for Western Armenian campers.
- Usually the majority of the campers didn't have their own laptops to bring to the previous camps. We have always tried to provide all of them the necessary quantity of laptops. This time depending on the number of the participants who don't have a laptop, probably we will have a few campers who will use the laptops concurrently for several days.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget tableEdit
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost AMD||Total cost USD||Notes|
|1||Accommodation and food||Accommodation and food of campers in Aghveran "Voke Getak" rest house and Vanadzor camp||1 person/14 days||200||105000||21000000||43850.49||Accommodation includes rooms for 200 participants (campers and staff) during the whole project. 1 day costs 7500 AMD.|
|3||Accommodation and food||Accommodation and food of Western Armenian campers||1 person/14 days||15||0||0||0||Accommodation and food expenses (1,575,000 AMD) for Western Armenian editors will be covered by Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation grant.|
|4||Internet||Internet, modem, WiFi routers and high speed connection||1 routers each for 50 persons||2||0||0||0.00||WiFi connection provides Vivacell-MTS for free|
|5||Equipment||Sound equipment||1 Unit||As needed||0||0||0.00||Sound equipment is provided by camp. It is for organizing seminars, discussions and evening parties.|
|6||Equipment||Batteries||1 battery||12||500||6000||12.53||Batteries for sound equipment.|
|7||Equipment||Extension cords||1 cord||20||3000||60000||125.29|
|8||Transportation||Buses from/to Camp in Aghveran||1 bus for 50 persons||4||49,000||196000||409.27||Transportation cost includes transportation of participants from/to Aghveran.|
|9||Transportation||Buses from/to Camp in Vanadzor||2 bus for 50 persons||4||140,000||560000||1169.35||Transportation cost includes transportation of participants from/to Vanadzor.|
|10||Transportation||Buses for expeditions||1 bus for 50 persons||4||120,000||480000||1002.30|
|11||Transportation||Buses for expeditions||2 bus for 50 persons||4||240,000||960000||2004.59|
|13||Transportation||Flight tickets from/to Turkey, Libanon, Syria||1 ticket||15||0||0||0||Flight tickets expenses (5,040,000 AMD) for Western Armenian editors will be covered by Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation grant.|
|14||Office supplies||A4 Papers need for printing and copy-printing||1 package (500 lists)||4||2000||8000||16.70|
|15||Office supplies||Files||1 package||1||3000||3000||6.26|
|16||Office supplies||Printer cartridge refill||1 refiling||2||5000||10000||20.88|
|17||Office supplies||Other office sullies, blank posters, pencils, pens, watermarks, markers, steps, clips etc.||-||-||55000||55000||114.85|
|18||Office supplies||Projectors||1 projector||1||250000||250000||522.03||3 projectors are needed for workshops organized during the camps, as we'll have 3 working groups. WM AM does not have any projector. We need at least one for sure, the other 2 we'll try to find from various sources.|
|19||Office supplies||Wiki polo shirt||1 polo shirt||200||4000||800000||1670.49|
|20||Publishing||Wikicamp banners||1 banner||2||80000||160000||334.10|
|21||Publishing||Wikicamp X-banners||1 X-banner||2||25000||50000||104.41|
|22||Publishing||Wikicamp flyers||1 flyer||20||250||5000||10.44||Flyers are needed to announce about Wikicamp at different educational institutions.|
|23||Publishing||Wikicamp tickets||1 ticket||200||20||4000||8.35|
|26||Sport supplies||Balls for sport games, rockets, shuttlecocks, ping pong rockets, sport rings, wires, balloons etc.||-||-||97500||97500||203.59||Although we have some sport goods remained from previous camp, they are not enough, some of them are not in a condition to be used again.|
|27||Prizes||Wiki mugs||1 mug||200||1400||280000||584.67|
|28||Prizes||Wiki pens||1 pen||200||300||60000||125.29|
|29||Prizes||Wiki bookmarks||1 bookmark||200||80||16000||33.41|
|30||Prizes||Wiki bags||1 bag||200||150||30000||62.64|
|31||Prizes||General prize||1 netbook||4||140000||560000||1169.35||2 winners in each camp, 1 for Wikipedia and 1 for Wiktionary competition winner as there are students who edit only Wikipedia or Wiktionary.|
|32||Unforeseen expenses||Unforeseen expenses||1000000||2088.12|
Total cost of projectEdit
- 32,355,500 AMD (67,562.12 USD)
Total amount requestedEdit
Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants Program.
- 25,740,500 AMD (55,837.33 USD)
Additional sources of revenueEdit
Additional sources of revenue, other than the Project and Event Grants Program, that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded.
- 6,615,000 AMD (11,724.79 USD) - expenses of Western Armenian editors from Syria, Lebanon and Turkey (travel costs, accommodation & food) will be covered by Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation grant.
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- Notification in Armenian Wikipedia Village pump
- Notification in Armenian Wikisource Village pump
- Notification in Armenian Wiktionary Village pump
- WMAM mailing list
- Social networks
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.