Community Wishlist Survey 2022/Translation/Translator for existing pages
Translator for existing pages
- Problem: Translator tool do not allow to translate existing pages
- Proposed solution: Translator tool should load existing translated page content in the tool so that translator can pick-and-choose the content and paste it against existing source.
- Who would benefit: Translators
- More comments: This will be beneficial for expanding the pages
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Vikrantkorde (talk) 16:40, 18 January 2022 (UTC)
I discussed with the team today, and I will again point out the items that I think are relevant:
- With the current user inteface, the translation tool is to be used to "translate" form one language to another. This can be done section by section, but once the translation is "published" the task of the translation tool is done. It is currently not possible to translate "3 of the 5 sections", and come back later to translate the other two.
- Even listing the translations that have been done will take you to the published page in the respective Wiki (or it will produce an error if that page does nor exist).
My idea (non-technical) would be the following:
- When looking at translations that you have done using the tool, you have the option:
- Jump to to the published page (status quo); integrate a check that the page actually exists.
- Load a version into the translation tool; this version would take the version published (or the most current one of the published article), and compare it to the source version (or the most current one) in the source language (User-settable options). The user can then re-translate, or change existing settings, and publish the article again. The Wiki is probably smart enough to work out the difference.
- In the Wiki, the fact that they were translated, as well as the source language (+article) is stored. Subject to privileges and page protection, every eligible editor gets a button to "contune the translation". This would then bring up a translation view similar to the one above.
Other things to keep track of:
- At the time of publication, the user might not have the permissions required to publish the page (under that name); we might give the user the opion to publish the page under a different name
- If I am translating a source page, and when I come back, the source page has noticeably changed, this may need to be reflected in the tool. Luxury option: be able to cycle between revisions of the page (done after the user started the translation)
- When the user clicks on translations, and this takes him/her to the translated page on-wiki, we might need to check that the page hasn't been deleted since, or that it moved somewhere else (e.g. disambiguation page)
- When continuing a translation" we need to give good thoughts as to what versions of the source and target page to show to the user.
- Supposing more than one user is translating a page, and one of the translators publishes, sohuld the other translators be notified? - If so, in what way?
I know it is probably a major piece of work, and it would likely be done in stages.I discussed with a few people of the community wishlist team, and they sounded interested. Hope that this helps. -Eptalon (talk) 21:13, 19 January 2022 (UTC)
- Honestly, this proposal just sounds a lot like the section-divided translation tool already proposed above (#2) Xn00bit (talk) 19:13, 28 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Klein Muçi (talk) 00:57, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support daSupremo 22:03, 30 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Libcub (talk) 23:33, 30 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Kcomerfo (talk) 14:44, 31 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Djiboun (talk) 15:06, 31 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support MONUMENTA (talk) 00:01, 1 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Thingofme (talk) 02:49, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Vikrantkorde (talk) 11:12, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Hampcky (talk) 15:49, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Vevryk (talk) 21:35, 4 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support - Darwin Ahoy! 02:03, 5 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support --Ciao • Bestoernesto • ✉ 03:44, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Ayumu Ozaki (talk) 02:11, 7 February 2022 (UTC)