Community Wishlist Survey 2022/Editing/Add infobox without editing whole article
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
Add infobox without editing whole article
- Problem: To add infobox it is necessary to edit the article, search the infobox, and enter the data.
- Proposed solution:
- Add a button in the corner of the article to insert infobox without needing to press edit the whole article (similar to adding image).
- Or add automatic infobox in article according to categories.
- There is a user script/gadget already available that adds an "edit lead section" button. That seems like it suffices today. --Izno (talk) 05:43, 21 January 2022 (UTC)
- Is there a reason why edit lead section availability is not default? · · · Peter (Southwood) (talk): 15:11, 24 January 2022 (UTC)
- Agreed: how about we just make the "edit lead section" button available by default to all logged-in users? — OwenBlacker (Talk) 22:30, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
- I concur that "edit lead section" button should be available by default to all logged-in users.- Darwin Ahoy! 21:42, 4 February 2022 (UTC)
- Indeed the suggestion in the four comments above seems reasonable, though the proposal is not quite clearly worded – I thought this was talking about some kind of visual interface specifically for adding an infobox. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk) 18:06, 8 February 2022 (UTC)
- Oppose idea 1 as needlessly single-purpose ("insert a few specific things") when we already have a robust solution to the more general idea of editing the lede ("edit first section" feature). Oppose idea 2 because the mere presence of an infobox is contentious at best and against consensus in other cases. DMacks (talk) 22:03, 28 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support There's no harm in this. Adding a relevant infobox without requiring searching it helps editors get things done. Lectrician1 (talk) 04:41, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support — SHEIKH (Talk) 13:06, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
- Oppose as editing the lead section alone is already possible, but this request does emphasise the need for the edit lead section button to be switched on by default rather than hidden away as a gadget. GKFX (talk) 22:58, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
- But why some wikis, even enwiki has no default lead section links? And what about IPs who wants to edit? Also, how can we configure it globally? The process is that global gadget is not possible. We can do this for IPs is to made default, IPs are human too. Thingofme (talk) 15:14, 30 January 2022 (UTC)
- Neutral Neutral, as infobox needs discussion and not every articles need an infobox. Thingofme (talk) 15:15, 30 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Jmaxx37 (talk) 18:47, 30 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support MONUMENTA (talk) 00:51, 1 February 2022 (UTC)
- Oppose KingAntenor (talk) 06:15, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Sabelöga (talk) 15:35, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- Neutral Would be more useful to have a section edit in VE. We already have 0-section edit link on pl.wiki for years (~10 years I guess). On en.wiki community can vote to add similar default gadget. Nux (talk) 18:16, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Exilexi (talk) 18:21, 5 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Ayumu Ozaki (talk) 06:16, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Oppose Edit lead section button would be appropriate instead of the proposed implementation — DaxServer (t · c) 12:12, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support --Ciao • Bestoernesto • ✉ 18:41, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Tom Ja (talk) 18:30, 7 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Lancine.kounfantoh.fofana (talk) 16:38, 10 February 2022 (UTC)