Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Bots and gadgets/Automatically import
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: Some projects often use sites with compatible Creative Commons licenses. Usually these projects use a bot, but this takes time, some stop operating, new sites start using the Creative Commons license and others stop using it. In addition, there are many smaller wikis that are abandoned or forgotten.
- Who would benefit: Mainly Wikiquote and Wikinews, I think. But the tool would not be available to everyone, to avoid vandalism.
- Proposed solution: I am proposing the creation of a tool that allows users (not all obviously) to automatically copy content from other sites. This would help many projects to grow.
- More comments: I don't know if it has been proposed before, I await comments…
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Edu! (talk) 15:51, 18 November 2020 (UTC)
- I think this will be highly useful. I know several compatible wikis that are used as sources of content. However, not being currently able to do the import as described in the proposal mean we can't get the best attribution for the content. We rely on third parties to track the individual work on the article. If I recall correctly, there was a problem with non-Wikimedia wikis due to different user bases (if you import edition ABCD done by User:XYWZ, the software considers the user:XYWZ in the end wiki instead of the source wiki). However, I think it should be technically feasible to adapt to wikis using a different repository of users.--FAR (talk) 10:04, 29 November 2020 (UTC)
- How is this different from Special:Export/Import and related functionality? --Tgr (talk) 06:53, 14 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support UncleMartin (talk) 01:31, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Omda4wady (talk) 07:25, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support If these sites use Creative Commons as a license, the proposal is excellent! WikiFer msg 22:47, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Strong support. Can help a lot to save time. BoldLuis (talk) 10:40, 11 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Anonyme314159 (talk) 18:36, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Sounds good but a bit broad. Are we talking imports to Wikisource? Commons? A frequent usecase is when a site provider has just re-licensed their images or whatever under a more restrictive license; since they can't cancel the old license we can rescue the material and re-host it. HLHJ (talk) 00:15, 20 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Juan90264 (talk) 03:08, 21 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support S8321414 (talk) 14:08, 21 December 2020 (UTC)