Wikimedians of Mainland China
This group is currently not recognized by the Affiliations Committee. This may be because they are in the process of applying for official status, they may not have been approved, or they may be operating outside the Wikimedia Affiliations system. To find the list of active Wikimedia affiliates, please visit the formal list of Wikimedia Movement Affiliates.
Note regarding global bans
The Wikimedians of Mainland China User Group is closely related or directly controlled by individuals under Foundation global ban. Globally banned individuals are prohibited, either in their own capacity or as agents of others, from all editing or other access privileges in Wikimedia Foundation websites, platforms and activities. Additionally, a globally banned individual may not coordinate activity that results in the aforementioned situations on Foundation sites, platforms and activities, via others.Users may still join the user group and participate in the group's events, but should be aware of and comply with the Global Ban policies, and must not participate in Wikimedia projects in proxy of globally banned users.
Wikimedians of Mainland China User Group is a group of Wikimedians working to promote the Wikimedia Movement in Mainland China. We are a user-led organization established in January 2017 with the purpose of promoting the Wikimedia Project in China.
|Wikimedians of Mainland China User Group|
|Founding date||January 2017|
|Mailing list||wmc-general, not active|
As of September 2021, WMC with its over 300 members is the only active proposing user group representing mainland China.
- Promoting Wikimedia Movement in Mainland China.
- Conducting online and offline activities in Mainland China.
- Helping novice Wikimedians (mainly from Mainland China) to study how to use and edit Wikimedia sites.
See User Group Constitution for details.
Online Edition Coordination Edit
- China-Indonesia Cultural Exchange Program (abandoned, originally scheduled Feburary 15th to March 15th, 2022)
- China-Turkey Wiki Collaboration with Wikimedia Community User Group Turkey (canceled, originally scheduled September 15th to October 15th, 2021)
- China-Nigeria Wiki Collaboration with Wikimedia User Group Nigeria (August 2021)
- Azerbaijan-China Cultural Exchange Program with Azerbaijani Wikimedians User Group (June 2021)
- China-Serbia Cultural Exchange Program with Wikimedia Serbia (February 1st to March 1st, 2021)
- Attendance Incentive Plan for Chinese Community in 2019 Wikipedia Asian Month (2019.11-12)
- Wiki Loves China (2019.7-8), Total 6731 Photos/Medias have been uploaded to Wiki Commmons
The following meetups and other offline activities are held by group members or liaisons.
- Jul 2017 Shenzhen Meetup, 4 attendees
- Jul 2017 Beijing Meetup, 14 attendees
- Aug 2017 Shenzhen-Hong Kong Meetup, 4 attendees
- Oct 2017 National Day Holiday Northeastern China Meetup (Harbin, Heilongjiang Province), 9 attendees
- Jan 2018 Winter Vacation Northeastern China Meetup(Changchun, Jilin Province), 7 attendees
- Jan 2018 Winter Vacation Beijing Meetup, 16 attendees
- Jan 2018 Winter Vacation Shenzhen Meetup, 9 attendees
- April 2018 Chinese Wikipedia 1 million articles celebration meetup, 9 attendees with Wikipedia account registered.
- Jul 2018 Kunming Meetup, 9 attendees
- 2019 Winter Vacation Northwestern Meetup, 3 attendees
- 2019 Winter Vacation Shijiazhuang Meetup, 7 attendees
- 2019 Winter Shandong Meetup, 6 attendees
- 2019 May Day Beijing Meetup, 14 attendees
- 2019 Summer Kunming Meetup, 3 attendees
- 2019 Mid-Autumn Festival Shenyang Meetup, 10 attendees
- 2019 National Day Beijing Meetup, 50 attendees
- 2020 National Day Beijing Meetup
- 2021 New Year Beijing Meetup, 23 attendees
- 2021 Spring Beijing Meetup
- 2021 Spring Shenzhen Meetup
Other offline activities Edit
- Shanghai Photowalk
Online lectures Edit
Since China is geographically diverse and hard to bring offline meetups to wherever newbies and potential contributors are, promoting Wikimedia movements online is also one of other major ways to introduce Wikimedia projects, as well as teaching basic editing skills and tips. By December 2017, we have successfully held 5 online lectures, with over 200 audiences in total. From the fifth lecture, we decided to put links and ways to attend it on a banner of Chinese Wikipedia a few days in advance, to attract more audiences.
Qiuwen, meaning "seeking news" in Chinese, is a news service run by the Wikimedians of Mainland China, reporting on Wikimedia-related news.
Total members: 299 (as of April 1, 2022)
Join us Edit
Any Wikimedia user can join our group freely, as long as they meet our criteria stated in our constitution.
Current Discussions Edit
- Amendment to WMC's constitution