Wikimedians of Albanian Language User Group
Wikimedians of Albanian Language User Group is a user group created by Albanian community of Wikimedia projects, who are interested to increase the quality and quantity of content and multimedia material in Albanian Wikipedia. We aim to do this through educational programs, workshops and edit-a-thons, running competitions online/offline, GLAM partnerships on regional level in territories of Balkans where Albanian language is spoken.
|Wikimedians of Albanian Language User Group|
|Location||Albania, Kosovo, Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro|
|Country code||ALB, XKS, MKD, SRB, MNE|
|Approval date||17 July 2015|
|Key people||Margott, Arianit, Liridon|
Background and historyEdit
We started our wiki-related initiatives with the project called Wikiakademia Shqiptare (WikiAcademy Albania) in 2014. Our goal was to solve the main problem of Wikipedia in Albanian: to grow the community, so that we improve the quality and quantity of the content in Albanian Wikipedia and multimedia material about Albania together.
With this in mind, we started a tour in different cities of Albanian and in Tetova Macedonia mainly in schools and universities where we presented the importance of a project like Wikipedia for the local communities. We had very positive feedback from the youngsters, although the teachers were somehow sceptic towards Wikipedia as a point of reference for knowledge. The tour continued for 3 months until we stopped for financial reasons and limited time due to personal work engagements.
We are working in the following programs in July-December 2018 period and beyond.
Our annual grant approved for the first 6 months is hereː WoALUG annual grant
- establish partner relations with educational institutions;
- enhance support material on editing on Wikimedia projects
- inclusion of students on Wikimedia projects;
- increase number of content on Wikimedia projects (especially Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons);
- inclusion of teachers in Wikimedia projects;
- establish relations with GLAM institutions
- make GLAM institutions aware of Wikimedia projects as a tool that supports their mission
- enrich Wikipedia with new content;
Open activities and outreachEdit
- increase the number of free photos related to cultural and natural monuments of Kosovo and Albania on Wikimedia Commons;
- increase the number of articles related to these monuments on Wikipedia;
- promote Wikimedia’s mission and awareness of its projects among Albanian speakers;
- promote the free knowledge concept;
- attract new volunteers and community members.
- collaborate with UGs in the CEE region
We have worked to cover Wikidata content about Albanian language currently covering 42% in the last 12 months.
Please refer to this page for previous activities.
More can be also found at our annual reportsː
- Miranda038, Project Manager
From August 2018, the User Group incorporated its first staff member based in Prishtina. The hired Project Manager was expected to lead the program through planning, coordinating and executing tasks within budget and time prospect. The part-time position of our Project Manager is supported by Ipko Foundation.
To implement the program, the Project Manager's duties and responsibilities are:
- Identify and coordinate activities, timeline, and budget to execute within program’s grant application
- Network, research and reach institutions, organizations and individuals to create further collaborations and partnerships
- Manage activities, allocate resources, coordinate and organize duties and tasks within the timeframe
- Organize events and other promotional activities
- Develop and implement a communication plan for the User Group
- Send press-releases, reach out to media and manage social media marketing to promote events, user group and the free knowledge concept of Wikipedia
- Develop and monitor user group’s reports, proposals, presentations, and other documentation
- Administer the budget, by executing, monitoring and recording expenditures
We are seeking means to develop partnerships with organizations or institutions which would sponsor a Project Manager in Tirana. As much as we do now, with the help of volunteers in Albania and a part-time Project Manager in Prishtina, another dedicated employee would support further and ensure an efficient implementation of the program grant.
Please use members page to sign yourself as e member of our UG.
Questions by email about UG should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We have a public Telegram channel (language used mostly Albanian) if you want to join and discuss about Wikimedia projects related stuff. You don't need to be a member to be part of this channel.
If you want to see more about our activities you canː
The UG has at its disposal 8 x Dell Latitude e5420 laptops and 1 Acer C200 Portable Projector. Equipment are stored and available for use at Prishtina Hackerspace which is available for WoALUG activities. Outside they may be used for Wiki activities such as editathons on the principle WoLAUG planned activities have highest priority, then first come, first serve. UG will decide when there is a dispute. Requests for use should be made underneath here.