Wikimedia user groups/Wikipage setup guide
This is an easy-to-read introduction into the process of creating a Wikimedia user group wikipage. It is designed to help your user group create a presence on Meta-Wiki - which you can use to advertise your group and document your activities.
Creating a wikipage
To get started quickly, simply enter your user group's name into this form and click the "Create page" button.
See Wikimedia Community User Group Wikiland for an example wikipage for a fictional Wikimedia user group.
Suggestions for your wikipage
- You do not need to be verbose, the main thing is to get your information out there
- Even if English is your group's primary language, consider using Meta-Wiki's translation system to make your page more accessible
- Starting in English and using Meta-Wiki's translate system is the best way to get your content available in multiple languages
Frequently asked questions
- Why should we create a wikipage?
- Maintaining a wikipage is a part of the Wikimedia user group code of conduct:
- "You must behave transparently, including maintaining a Wikimedia project wiki page describing your group and its activities, and providing an annual update of your activities to the Wikimedia community and the Wikimedia Foundation. You should post this report as an update on Meta-Wiki."
- In addition to being a method of meeting reporting requirements, these pages are an excellent way of promoting your group and its activities.
- Where can we get help with our wikipage?
- The MediaWiki Handbook includes a section to help page editors.