Wikimedia user groups/Applications/Wikimedia Georgia User Group
Proposed name of Wikimedia user group: (There are some templates at Step-by-step user group creation guide#Naming of user groups.)
- Wikimedia Georgia User Group
Proposed scope of Wikimedia user group: (What is the planned purpose, scope, vision, or mission of this Wikimedia user group?)
- Promote awareness of the Georgian Wikimedia projects.
- Engage the community and gain new contributors for the User Group and Wikimedia projects.
- Cooperate with other institutions with similar missions and visions to promote free knowledge movement in Georgia.
- Work on the formation of Wikimedia Georgia chapter.
1. Who are the people behind this application?
- See the list of users interested in forming the user group.
- 1a. How many?
- 1b. Active in which Wikimedia projects, if any?
- Wikipedia, Commons, Wikiquote, Meta-wiki
- 1c. How are they geographically distributed?
- Almost the majority of people who joined the initiative are from Tbilisi. There are some users from the provinces of Shida Kartli, Adjara, Samegrelo and Kakheti.
- 1d. Do you have any highly active or prominent (on local or international level) Wikimedians / Wikipedians? If so, please name a few. (provide user names and wiki of origin)
- User:Zangala is one of first users in Georgian Wikipedia, still active contributor. There are three wikipedia sysops (MIKHEIL, David1010 and Otogi) who are actively involved in the process. In addition there are 6 members who were admins in the past. There are 2 people who attended Wikimania and also 2 people who attended Wikimedia CEE Meeting. User:BRUTE is a global sysop and was a steward in the past.
- 1e. How many people do you expect will eventually want to join?
2. For the application and final agreement we will require two contact persons that can sign the Wikimedia User Group Agreement on behalf of the group. Who will those be? (please provide user names and wiki of origin) Please also include email addresses for these users either on this page or in your initial email to the Affiliations Committee (AffComlists.wikimedia.org).
- User:MIKHEIL (ka.wiki)
- User:BRUTE (ka.wiki)
- (email addresses were provided via email to AffCom)
3. Please give a short summary of your time path from the founding up to now.
- Georgian Wikipedia was launched in early 2004 and its history is summarized here. For now there is 89 000+ arictles. We have active Facebook page with more than 62 000 likes.
4. Which geographical area and context do you cover (or plan to cover) with your entity?
- Geographical area: The territory of Georgia, with possible collaborations with neighbour Wikimedia chapters/user groups.
- Context: Anything related to contributing with and improving the content of Wikipedia and its sister projects.
5. Have there been any activities/meetings etc. of this group of people? If yes, please briefly describe some examples. This is not a requirement, just helpful information.
- There have been several irregular meetings of wikipedians in Tbilisi, Telavi, Khashuri, during the last few years. We have regular Wikipedia birthday celebrations on every January.
6. Do you keep any monthly/half-yearly/yearly reports of you activities? If yes, please provide links. This is not a requirement, just helpful information.
- There are some reports here in Georgian.
7. What kind of activities are planned for the future in the user group?
- Our planned activities aims the promotion Wikimedia projects, organizing official working meetings and media outreach, attracting new participators. We also plan to collaborate with some PR agencies (e.g. GePRA), universities and ministries.
8. Is you entity already legally registered? Do you intend on becoming a legally registered entity in the next thirteen months? Please note that we do not require or encourage user groups to legally incorporate or register.
- No legally registered entity yet.
9. Do you have a bylaws for you entity? If yes, have the bylaws been reviewed by a lawyer/specialist? Please note that we do not require or encourage user groups to write bylaws.
10. How can the Affiliations Committee and the Wikimedia Foundation help your group?
- Recognizing the user group to help us to promote Wikimedia activities.
- Helping in legalization of FoP in Georgia.
- Working to form a Wikimedia Georgia chapter in future.