Wikimedia style guide
This page is kept for historical interest. Any policies mentioned may be obsolete. If you want to revive the topic, you can use the talk page or start a discussion on the community forum.
This is a style guide to help edit public descriptions of the Wikimedia projects and contributors. To help out with issues of style, you can add yourself to the list at Copyediting.
Names of Board members for official publications: see Board. Please use the full name (e.g., "Jimmy Wales", or "Wales" thereafter.
For informal official documents, such as the foundation pages on meta and perhaps the newsletter, when discussing anthere, mav, or other users who are known by their handles rather than their names, refer to them the first time by their full name (nick), before referring to them by their nick.
The Foundation itself
"the Wikimedia Foundation", "WMF", sometimes "the Foundation", more rarely "Wikimedia" (pl).
The Board of Trustees
"the [Wikimedia] Board of Trustees", "the [WM] Board"
- remember there may someday be a separate board (e.g., of advisors)
Titles for the Chairman
"Chairman of the Board [of Trustees]", "Director of the Wikimedia Foundation" (?? from jimmywales.com)
- "Treasurer of the Wikimedia Foundation", "the Board's Treasurer"
- "Vice-Chair of the Board [of Trustees]"
- "Volunteer User Representative [to the Board [of T.]]"
- "Contributing User Representative [to the B. [of T.]]"
- Style guide
- For logo use guidelines, see the WMF logo style guide.