Wikimedia Wikimeet India 2021/Submissions/Section Translation: New Ways to Contribute on Mobile Devices
- Title: Section Translation: New Ways to Contribute on Mobile Devices
- Language: English
- Type: Presentation
- Time needed: 30 minutes
- Narrate your plan in details: The Content Translation extension has been used in Wikipedia in all languages since 2015 by more than 78,000 users to create more than 800,000 articles. This includes about 60,000 articles in languages of India: 15,000 in Tamil, 12,000 in Bengali, 9,000 in Punjabi, 6,000 in Malayalam, 4,000 in Hindi, 3,000 in Urdu, and more. Despite its success, it is being developed further to become more usable to more people in more countries and languages. The two main new features that are about to be deployed in 2021 are the possibility to add sections to already-existing articles by translating them from other languages, and to translate conveniently on mobile devices. This session will present a brief history of Content Translation, the research and design process that lead to the new features, the features themselves and their particular relevance to languages of India, and a live demo.
- Any support you need: Nothing special. Zoom or Google Meet with screen sharing is enough.
- How will this session be beneficial for the communities in India?: While the Section Translation feature is eventually targeted at all languages, languages of India are a particular focus for this feature, because of a high share of people who read Wikipedia and contribute to it on mobile devices in India. Languages of India also received the focus of this feature's design researchers. Therefore, it's relevant and important to present its status at an Indian Wikimedia meeting.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- --Kavitha G. Kana (talk) 05:44, 25 January 2021 (UTC)
- Manavpreet Kaur (talk) 17:38, 25 January 2021 (UTC)
- UOzurumba (WMF) (talk) 21:24, 25 January 2021 (UTC)
- EAsikingarmager (WMF) (talk) 22:09, 25 January 2021 (UTC)
- Ranjithsiji (talk) 06:16, 26 January 2021 (UTC)
- Zblace (talk) 08:01, 15 February 2021 (UTC)
- Satpal Dandiwal (talk) 18:07, 19 February 2021 (UTC)