Wikimedia - hva skjer, November 2012
Utdrag av Foundation-rapport, nov. 2012 og maskineringsrapport nov. 2012 med et utvalg andre hendelser i Wikimedia-sfæren
Ny HTML5 videoavspiller
En new video player was enabled ny videoavspiller ble satt i drift på WP og søsterprosjektene, for å gi fri opplærings- og utdannelsesvideoer til flere mennesker, på flere platformer og flere språk. Spilleren er den samme HTML5 som brukes av Kaltura open-source video platformen. Blandt funksjonene finner vi avansert støtte for teksting, støtte for royalty fritt WebM format, og serverside transkoding som gir mulighet for å velge videoformat avhengig av båndbredde og størrelsen på spilleren.
Utviklermøte og språkmøte i India
Wikimedia Foundation avholdt et utviklermøte i Bangalore, India den 9 - 11 november 2012. Engineering DevCamp samlingen fokuserte på språkstøtte, utvikling av støtte for mobile apparater, brukerinteraksjon og brukererfaringsdesign (UI/UX). Mer enn 85 deltakere; UX/UI-designere, Wikimedianere og oversettere deltok. Før dette ble avviklet et åpen kilde språk møte organisert i samarbeide med "Red Hat" i Pune, India.
27 november 2012 startet WMF sin niende årlige innsamling av midler. Første dag sattes ny rekord med 2, 3 mill $ på et døgn, noe som er en 59% økning fra forrige toppdag i 2011. (Se forøvrig Fundraiser Statistics page for å sammenligne fra tidligere år. Bannerdesignen er nå endret fra en "Jimmy-appell": 
til variasjoner over et faktabasert "Facts banner"
Siden starten ble så suksessfull, ble det i første omgang besluttet at bannerne bare skulle vises i fem engelsk-talende land ut året: US, Canada, UK, Australia, og New Zealand, i tillegg til bannere for de lokale WikiMedia-chapternes tilsvarende aksjoner. De resterende landene vil få sine aksjoner i løpet av våren 2013 med forbedrede oversettelser.
Beta testing for Wikivoyage
Wikivoyage, the project to create a free world travel guide which anyone can edit, launched on Wikimedia Foundation servers on November 10, migrating text content and accounts from the old servers run by the Wikivoyage Association. The community is working on the review and transfer of media files, and the site remains in "beta" until this and other cleanup tasks are completed.
Data and Trends
Global unique visitors for October:
- 488.4 million (+2.84% compared with September; +2.46% compared with the previous year)
- (comScore data for all Wikimedia Foundation projects; comScore will release November data later in December)
Page requests for November:
- 20.3 billion (+2.7% compared with October; +16.8% compared with the previous year)
- (Server log data, all Wikimedia Foundation projects including mobile access)
Active Registered Editors for October 2012 (>= 5 mainspace edits/month, excluding bots):
- 79,964 (-2.73% compared with September / +0.59% compared with the previous year)
- (Database data, all Wikimedia Foundation projects. Note: We recently refined this metric to take into account Wikimedia Commons and activity across several projects.)
Report Card (integrating various statistical data and trends about WMF projects) for October 2012:
(Financial information is only available for October 2012 at the time of this report.)
All financial information presented is for the Month-To-Date and Year-To-Date October 31, 2012.
|Global Development Group||$1,804,417|
|Legal/Community Advocacy/Communications Group||$976,506|
* Revenue for the month of October is $1.24MM vs plan of $0.85MM, approximately $396K or 47% over plan.
- Year-to-date revenue is $5.36MM vs plan of $5.21MM, approximately $151K or 3% over plan.
- Expenses for the month of October is $2.53MM vs plan of $2.84MM, approximately $305K or 11% under plan, primarily due to lower personnel expenses, internet hosting expenses, travel expenses, capital expenses, and outside contract services partially offset by higher legal expenses and operating grants.
- Year-to-date expenses is $9.93MM vs plan of $11.52MM, approximately $1.59MM or 14% under plan, primarily due to personnel expenses, internet hosting, travel expenses, capital expenses, grants and awards, and outside contract services partially offset by higher legal expenses and awards and grants.
- Cash position is $20.76MM as of October 31, 2012 which is approximately 5.92 months of expenses.
Other movement highlights
"Day of the Dead" photo contest
Day of the Dead (Día de Muertos) is an annual celebration in Mexico, where people gather to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. Many aspects of this important holiday lack photographs on Wikimedia Common. The campus library of the ITESM-Campus Ciudad de México sponsored a month-long photography contest called "Day of the Dead, Wiki Style (Día de Muertos estilo Wiki)". Similar to Wiki Loves Monuments, there was an open submission period lasting one month (from 5 October to 5 November 2012), attracting over 400 photo uploads.
Bot connects 250,000 biographies to bibliographical records
VIAFbot is a bot on the English Wikipedia which links biography articles to the corresponding authority records in the "Virtual International Authority File" (VIAF, which is operated by OCLC, the Online Computer Library Center in the US). Authority records are used in library catalogues to distinguish authors with the same name, and to collect differing names for the same author. In November, VIAFbot completed its run for over 250,000 articles. It examined each page's title and, if present, existing "persondata" and the infobox to guess the corresponding VIAF ID. The bot also compared the existing "Normdaten" authority record links, which are frequent on the German Wikipedia, and recorded differences between the two Wikipedias.
"Semanticpedia" collaboration with French government and research institute
The French Wikimedia chapter signed a partnership with the French Ministry of Culture and Communication and the National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Control (INRIA) launching the Semanticpedia project. The project evolved from the French version of DBpedia and concerns research and development about the extraction of structured (semantic) data from the French language Wikipedia and its sister projects.
A simultaneous editathon from two continents
Wikimedia Mexico and Wikimedia Spain organized the first editing marathon between two Spanish-speaking countries, where Wikipedians collaborated across the ocean on topics that are of importance to both Spain and Mexico.