Hoogtepunten van Wikimedia, december 2013
Hoogtepunten van de Wikimedia Foundation en technologische rapporten van september 2013 met een selectie uit ander belangrijke Evenementen van de Wikimediagemeenschap
Hoogtepunten van de Wikimedia Foundation
Nieuwe brochure legt uit hoe Wikipedia te bewerken
Het Education Program team heeft het werk voltooid van een compleet nieuwe versie van de Welcome to Wikipedia brochure (nu genaamd "Editing Wikipedia"). Het is ook beschikbaar for translation into other languages.
"Proefversie" mogelijkheid voorziet Wikipedia artikelen van een soepeldere start
In december is zoals door de locale community werd verlangd, de nieuwe Draft namespace gelanceerd op de engelstalige Wikipedia. Het voorziet alle gerbuikers (annoniem en geregistreerd) de mogelijkheid nieuwe artikelen eerst als proefversie te maken in plaats van ze direct te publiceren (wat het risico met zich mee zou dragen dat het articel al voor verwijdering genomineerd zou kunnen worden nog voordat het verbeterd zou kunnen worden). Proefversies worden gemarkeerd door het woordje "Draft:" op de titelpadina en zijn niet zichbaar voor zoekmachines.
Recipients of Annual Plan Grants (FDC) and Individual Engagements Grants (IEG) announced
In December, 11 Wikimedia organizations were awarded annual plan grants totaling $4.4M, following the recommendations of the volunteer-run Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) in the first round of requests for 2013/2014. The approved amount was lower than the overall requested amount of US$5.94M, affirming the FDC's guidance to the organizations to be thoughtful about growth.
Also in December, the selection of seven projects for the second round of Individual Engagements grants (IEG) was announced. They focus on activities from outreach to tool-building, all aimed at connecting and supporting the community.
Succesvol online eindejaar fondsenverwerving campagne
The WMF fundraising team ran the year-end online fundraising campaign in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Roughly $18.7 million USD was raised from more than one million donors in December. During the two weeks when the campaign ran at full capacity, the team created and tested approximately 250 different banners. Banners will be run in other countries and languages throughout 2014.
Data en trends
Global unique visitors for November:
- 533 million (+9.95% compared with October; +0.42% compared with the previous year)
- (comScore data for all Wikimedia Foundation projects; comScore will release December data later in January)
Page requests for December:
- 18.270 billion (-4.0% compared with November; -9.4% compared with the previous year)
- (Server log data, all Wikimedia Foundation projects including mobile access)
Active Registered Editors for November 2013 (>= 5 mainspace edits/month, excluding bots):
- 74,803 (-1.33% compared with October / -4.88% compared with the previous year)
- (Database data, all Wikimedia Foundation projects.)
Report Card (integrating various statistical data and trends about WMF projects):
(Financial information is only available through November 2013 at the time of this report.)
All financial information presented is for the Month-To-Date and Year-To-Date November 30, 2013.
|Bestuur (Governance Group)||302.012|
|Legal/Community Advocacy/Communications Group||1.367.697|
|in VS dollars|
- Revenue for the month of November is $2.96MM versus plan of $8.83MM, approximately $5.87MM or 66% under plan.
- Year-to-date revenue is $14.61MM versus plan of $16.71MM, approximately $2.1MM or 13% under plan.
- Expenses for the month of November is $2.89MM versus plan of $3.73MM, approximately $844K or 23% under plan, primarily due to lower personnel expenses, capital expenses, internet hosting, payment processing fees, and travel expenses partially offset by higher outside contract services and recruiting expenses.
- Year-to-date expenses is $15.12MM versus plan of $18.43MM, approximately $3.31MM or 18% under plan, primarily due to lower personnel expenses, capital expenses, internet hosting, legal fees, payment processing fees, staff development expenses, and travel expenses partially offset by higher outside contract services and recruiting fees.
- Cash position is $38.8MM as of November 30, 2013.
Other highlights from the Wikimedia movement
Wiki Loves Monuments 2013 winners announced
The 2013 edition of Wiki Loves Monuments, the contest to upload freely licensed photos of national monuments to Wikimedia Commons, concluded with the announcement ot the global winners in December. This time, there were 51 national or regional competitions in 52 countries. With more than 365,000 submissions, the record from 2012 was broken. The global winning photo, by Commons user Kabelleger (David Gubler), shows a bridge in the Swiss mountains being crossed by a train.
New tool for GLAM mass uploads to Wikimedia Commons
The GLAMwiki Toolset was activated on Wikimedia Commons on December 17. It allows GLAM organizations (galleries, libraries, archives and museums) to upload many images (or other media files) at once, while automatically importing metadata in XML form. The work on this new MediaWiki extension was funded by Europeana and the Dutch, British, French and Swiss Wikimedia chapters.