|This Wikimania page is inactive and kept for historical interest. If you want to get the latest news on the coming Wikimania, or join the discussion of its planning, you may visit the conference's official website.|
Wikimania 2020 is postponed to 2021
Wikimania 2020, a Wikimedia conference, was scheduled to be held in Bangkok, Thailand from 5 to 9 August, 2020, coinciding with the 15th anniversary of the event. In view of COVID-19, it was postponed until 2021. Wikimania 2021 was held as an online virtual event only, and Wikimania 2022 was virtual event combined with local meetups. Wikimania 2023 is a return to an in-real-life conference. It was planned to be hosted by Wikimedia ESEAP (East, Southeast Asia and the Pacific), a first time for a regional collaborative. It would have been the third time it would be hosted in Asia and the first time for Southeast Asia.
For more information, see wikimania.org.
Due to a series of changes in the management of Wikimania at the Wikimedia Foundation and after discussions with the proposed venues and new potential venues, the Wikimania Committee considered for Wikimania 2020 the venues of Perth, Bali and Bangkok and has been encouraging a broader collaboration among regional teams. The selected venue was officially announced at Wikimania 2019.
Expressions of Interest (list here)
- Wikimedia Armenia; Yerevan; 2020; --WikiTatik (talk) 03:41, 7 September 2018 (UTC)
- Wikimedia Australia; Perth 2020; Gnangarra (talk) 02:16, 11 September 2018 (UTC)
- Seoul, South Korea; Wikimedians of South Korea --Ryuch (talk) 08:10, 17 September 2018 (UTC)
- Bali, Indonesia; Wikimedia Indonesia --Biyanto Rebin (WMID) (talk) 20:21, 5 October 2018 (UTC)
- Cek village, Azerbaijan. --►Cekli829 20:12, 12 October 2018 (UTC)
- Karavali Wikimedians Mangalore--Lokesha kunchadka (talk) 16:26, 12 November 2018 (UTC)
- "Wikimania – Wikimania". wikimania.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 2019-09-01.
- "(Wikimania-l) (Covid-19) Postponing Wikimania Bangkok until 2021". lists.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 18 March 2020.