Wiki Loves Africa 2019/Survey
September 2019: A survey is organized to get feedback from the community as to the importance of c:Commons:Wiki Loves Africa to their Wikimedia activities and larger community. It will also be the opportunity to collect opinions with regards to Wiki Loves Africa 2020 theme. Facts about this survey include
- The survey will run between 14th of September and 26th of September 2019
- It is run through a Qualtrix account operated by Anthere
- The survey results will be anonymized and a summary published on this page
- The targeted respondents are the former or future organizers of Wiki Loves Africa contest and interested parties. This can include members of African chapters and User Groups, unaffiliated African community member interested in organizing events in Africa, staff from any wikimedia entities interested in Wiki Loves projects, community members from everywhere interested in Wiki Loves projects. The people NOT targetted are the former participants to the contest (eg, the 6000+ submitters of images). Accordingly, the survey will be primarily distributed through our community networks and to people we have identified as relevant to have a say when it comes to the organization of a Wiki Loves contest.
- Please note the survey will be distributed through reusable anonymous link. We expect participants to behave and refrain from participating several times ;)
- This survey should take around 5 to 10 minutes of your time.
- Please note that questions may differ depending on some of the answers provided at the beginning of the survey
- The survey is available in English with French translations (sorry, no other language)
- Emails addresses, real name, or pseudo are not collected.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond and helping Wiki Loves Africa to move forward.
Purpose of survey : This survey will aid Wiki Loves Africa organizers in assessing its impact and whether there is support from the community to go forward in 2020.
What Information We Collect : this survey collects the responses you provide to the questions asked; there are two types of answers: defined responses, and free-form responses.
Licensing of Survey Responses : by answering the free-form response questions, you agree that we may record your answers, and agree to donate them to the public domain under the terms of Creative Commons Zero 1.0 (full text available at https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/).
By submitting your response, you agree to the transfer, storage, and use of the collected information to the United States, and other locations that may have different or less stringent data protection laws than your country, as may be necessary to carry out the purposes and objectives discussed above. The results of this survey will be retained indefinitely. See WMF data retention guidelines for more information.
For questions about this survey, or to update your answers, email contact Anthere (fdevouard anthere.org).
(English)The photo contest Wiki Loves Africa has been operating for 5 years.
- Wiki Loves Africa 2019, February 2019 on the theme of play
- Wiki Loves Africa 2017, October-November 2017 on the theme of people at work
- Wiki Loves Africa 2016, December 2016-January 2017 on the theme of music and dance
- Wiki Loves Africa 2015, October-November 2015 on the theme of fashion and adornment
- Wiki Loves Africa 2014, October-November 2014 on the theme of cuisine
(French)Le concours Wiki Loves Africa existe depuis 5 ans
- Wiki Loves Africa 2019, Février 2019 sur le thème Le jeu
- Wiki Loves Africa 2017, Octobre-Novembre 2017 sur le thème Les gens au travail
- Wiki Loves Africa 2016, Decembre 2016-Janvier 2017 sur le thème Musique et dance
- Wiki Loves Africa 2015, Octobre-Novembre 2015 sur le thème tenues et parures traditionnelles
- Wiki Loves Africa 2014, Octobre-Novembre 2014 sur le thème - cuisine
(English)Wiki Loves Africa has achieved much over 5 years:
- 48,466 images donated by 6213 submitters
- Wiki Loves Africa images were viewed 15,9 million times per month (March/April 2019);
- Wiki Loves Africa images have been viewed : 225,7 million times altogether (up to April 2019);
- Wikimedia Communities in 23 African countries have hosted over 225 participation and training events;
- The competition attracted high levels of new contributors – over 80% for each year;
- Wiki Loves Africa’s ISA tool is a pilot project for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons; and
- A Wiki Loves Africa prize-winning image was included in The Journeys Through Our Fragile Heritage exhibition at UNESCO, Paris.
(French)Beaucoup de bons résultats en 5 ans:
- 48466 images par 6213 participants
- les images Wiki Loves Africa ont été vues 15,9 million de fois par mois (Mars/Avril 2019);
- les images de Wiki Loves Africa images ont été vues : 225,7 million de fois au total (2014-Avril 2019);
- Les communautés Wikimedia de 23 pays africains ont hébergé plus de 225 évènements (participation et formation);
- Les participants au concours sont en majorité de nouveaux contributeurs : plus de 80% chaque année;
- L’outil ISA tool basé en premier lieu sur Wiki Loves Africa et un projet pilote lancé en 2019 par le projet Structured Data sur Wikimedia Commons et;
- Une photo gagnante Wiki Loves Africa était inclue dans “The Journeys Through Our Fragile Heritage exhibition” à l’UNESCO, Paris;
The contest run from 14 till 25th of September. It was advertised in 1) WikiIndaba channel (messenger group), 2) African Wikimedian channel (telegram group), 3) Affiliate channel (telegram group), 4) WikiFranca channel (telegram group), and the African mailing list. This was to try to reach out mostly to organizers and Usergroup members.
All results are available in the document : File:Wiki Loves Africa 2019 Survey.pdf
Additional notes include
- There were 51 recorded answers.
- No answer was mandatory. Some of the participants did not answer to all questions; In particular, two participants answered "no" to the first question (have you participated to WLA before) and then did not answer any of the other questions.
- Also, some questions were only asked depending on the previous answers of the participants. For example, if the participant did not check the fact he or she was a UserGroup member, then no further questions were asked related to the UserGroup... this explains why there are different count of answers to all questions
- There is no significant impact on answers based on gender.
- There is no significant impact on answers based on language preference.
To the question how much do you agree or disagree that Wiki Loves Africa should take place in 2020,
- 73% of answers were strongly agree (27 responses),
- 13.5% are somewhat agree (5 responses),
- 10.8% are neither agree nor disagree (5 responses), and
- 2,7% are strongly disagree (1 response)
There was only one case of a participant who strongly disagreed that WLA should take place next year (= it should not take place). Of course that was interesting to better understand why, so it was investigated further. It is to note that this person is a member of a UG, he-she commented that I am new to Wikipedia, so i am still learning and discovering what is happening, put Neither agree nor disagree on most early questions regarding previous WLA editions, indicated he-she had no idea whether his-her UserGroup had been involved in organizing WLA in the past, and concluded that he-she wanted to get involved as an organizer in 2020.
The person who suggested African women who are unsung heroes as next year theme is a male ;) Hope you like it ladies !
If anyone further want to dig into results, please contact me and I'll send the cleaned-up document. The original data archive could also be used as we were cautious not to collect any information that might help identify people.