|This is a Closed submission for WikiIndaba conference 2018 that has already been reviewed by the members of the Program Committee.|
- Submission no. 051
- Title of the submission
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
Wikimedia MA user Group
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Since 2015, a big number of refugees has arrived to Europe. Usually, the processing of their cases takes a very long time (up to 3-4 years). During that time, the refugees (mostly young and full of energy) are not having a legal status (no social security, residence card) and cannot therefore have full time activities such as working or studying. In this context, many of them have a lot of free time but do not know what to do with it. Some chapters in Europe have thought about integrating the refugees through participating in Wikimedia related projects. Since most of them did not speak the local language, they were learning to edit in their mother tongues. Given that, I was participating in helping (as I speak Arabic) together with other colleagues (speaking Persian/Dari).The idea with this presentation is to present the work that was done in Europe, and inspire the African community. In Africa, there are millions of refugees that can potentially be Wikimedians. With the right tools presented, I believe that this project can be inspirational and grow the community, and give even more diversity (given the diversity usually present in the groups of refugees).
- What will attendees take away from this session?
The attendees will learn about the experiences that were conducted in Europe by me and my colleagues, and ideally will try to apply them in their home countries, by visiting refugees and introducing them to Wikimedia and how to edit in Wikipedia.
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 10-15 minutes
- Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).