WikiIndaba conference 2018/Submissions/Education in Africa Panel
|This is a Closed submission for WikiIndaba conference 2018 that has already been reviewed by the members of the Program Committee.|
- Submission no. 046
- Title of the submission
Education in Africa Roundtable
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
Florence Devouard, Walaa Abdel Manaem
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
Wiki in Africa
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Several education (schools-based) projects took place in Africa in year 2017. It would be good to give the people who have been involved in education projects the opportunity to share on the successes and difficulties they came across. It could also be an opportunity to discuss the interest to set up a regular annual writing contest for schools (as is being done in France with the WikiConcours Lycéens, which is limited to French schools...), in French and/or English, an opportunity to involve more the educational system (on Wikipedia or on Vikidia).
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Will learn about several projects run in 2017
- Will learn about the WMF activities in the education sector
- Will hear about tools available in Africa to overcome connectivity issues (WikiFundi, Kiwix etc.)
- Will get some insights about best stories and the not-so-good, so that they will feel more empowered jumping in the current projects or starting their own
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
Beginning, intermediate, advanced
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 35 minutes
- Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
I participated myself to two edu project in 2017 in Africa. The first was a writing contest using WikiFundi. It was held in 4 French speaking countries with kids 9-11. The second was held in an English country, with teenagers. Islahaddow and I would like to share those stories.
I also have a couple of suggestions of names of people that could join this panel, but also believe that the programme committee could make suggestions based on the other propositions submitted. It would also be lovely to have Vahid (for example).
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
Comments (To be considered before February 16th, 2018):