What is WikiForHumanRight campaign?
WikiForHumanRights campaign birth through a partnership with the UN Human Rights and UN environmental to encourage Wikimedians and advocates to document on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia platforms to increase knowledge about the healthy natural systems upon which people rely for the water they drink, the air they breathe and food they eat and other resources they need by documenting on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia platforms these stories.}}
How exactly can one participate?
There are several ways you can participate in this campaign. If you are part of a local Wikimedia community or part of an organization involved in human rights and the environment? We need your help to organize! You could:
- Organize and edit a thon or editing workshop in your country/community
- Organize a mini editing contest in your country/community
- Host a webinar on the theme
- Participate in the Global Writing Challenge
- Contribute content to Wikipedia
- Translate existing articles around the theme into your local language.etc}}
NB: You can also choose to participate in an existing community event or join the Global Challenge
What topics can my contributions focus on?
Although we are open to other Human Rights Topics; the campaign this year focuses on the Right to a healthy environment cutting across these areas;
- The importance of environmental justice, climate justice, and human rights centered approaches to local, national, and international action on the climate crisis
- Human wellbeing in the face of environmental damage caused by pollution, with a focus on the direct impact on other human rights (i.e. pollution and health, right to water, etc)
- Biodiversity and human rights — understanding how human wellbeing is dependent on a biodiverse natural ecosystem
What can I organize?
There are several local events you can organize around the campaign; In the past, some community members organized. several events such as
- Local writing contest
- Hosted local Webinars
- Hosted local edit-a-thon- and editing week
We will like you to be innovative in the kind of event you will want to host
Who is eligible to participate?
Anyone who has an interest in the campaign and will like to organize or participate in the Global Challenge is eligible. These could be
- local Wikimedian affiliate
- Experts in environment or Human Rights topics
How can one participate in the Global challenge?
It is simple, just add your name and the link to the contributions you have made on the button of the Join the challenge page
What are the awards for the Global Challenge?
- Certificated with endorsements from UN Human Right
- Gift from Wikimedia Store for top 10 participants
Any platform to Join?
- If you want to join us as an organizer, please join our Telegram Group
- If you have any questions send us an email at campaigns wikimedia org