WACN/Activities/The Calendar Initiative
WACN Part 2: The Calendar Initiative will be the most fascinating and innovative idea to raise awareness about Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects. In this project, we will be distributing Wiki-informative Calendars to the students of different universities and professionals. Wiki-informative Calendar will offer year-round exposure of Wikimedia projects to the students of different universities and professionals who are unaware about Wikimedia projects.
What is our goal(s)?
- Awareness about Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects:
The distribution of Wiki-informative Calendars will raise awareness about Wikipedia and various Wikimedia projects among the students of different universities and professionals.
- Engaging new readers:
Raising awareness about Wikipedia will ultimately lead to increment in the number of new readers.
- Online promotion of the project:
As we are in the world of technology and internet, we will be sharing the entire project via social medias such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
What is our plan(s)?
Here in Nepal, people use printed form of calendar to check holidays, keep track of appointments, festivals and note a vacation. Looking at this, we got the idea of Wiki-informative Calendar. This will be an updated version of Hindu calendar. It will not only include the normal calendar things, but also interesting facts and photographs taken from featured/good articles and files of the Wikipedia and Wikimedia commons respectively.
Communities have been notified of our project by
- Message on maiwiki village pump
- Message on newiki village pump
- Mass message(s) on-wiki
- Bulk sms
- Message(s) on social media(s)
- E-mail(s) etc.
What is our post-promotion plan?
After project ends, we will follow-up interested people through offline meetups, social media(s), group chat(s), hangouts and email(s).
Coordinator — Tulsi Bhagat (talk · contribs)
Adviser — Biplab Anand (talk · contribs)
Management Head — Bijay chaurasia (talk · contribs)
Communication Head — Sandeep Raut (talk · contribs)
Organizational Partner — PANKAJ DEO (talk · contribs)
- Increment in pageviews/siteviews of Wikipedia
- Number of reached people: 750
- Reach on social media(s)
- Media coverage(s)
Here is a rough schedule of Calendar Initiative. This is subject to change.
- June 01 - August 01, 2019: Project date
- June 01 - June 15, 2019: Calendar Designing
- June 15 - June 30, 2019: Printing of Wiki-informative Calendars
- July 01 - July 20, 2019: Distribution of Wiki-informative Calendars
- July 20 - July 25, 2019: Media coverage(s)
- July 25 - July 31, 2019: Follow-up interested participants
- August 01 - August 25, 2019: Preparation of report
- E-mail ID(s)
- Social Media(s)
- New Readers: The New Readers program focuses on understanding and serving potential Wikimedia readers in countries where access to the internet is quickly growing.
- The Billboards Initiative: It focuses on installation of static and digital billboards around two different cities of Nepal, and sharing the project via social media sites.