Hi, I am w:nl:gebruiker:Walter of the dutch Wikipedia. I am writing you because your are listed as ambassador of your wiki.(Wikibooks PL) I have something to say that I think you will find useful and possibly others of your wiki also.
You know it is not easy for the members of a local wiki to be informed about what is going on in the higher levels of the Wikimedia family. This because of the language problem and the high level of fragmentation of places where you can find information.
I am now making a weekly news letter (Wikizine) that attempts to provide the news of the Wikimedia projects. The concept is to list only a very short description of the news an give the relevant url to the subject. I want it to be short, only give the news that is important for all projects. The target audience include the ambassadors. It is for people who are interested in what it going on outside there own wiki. I emphasize on the news that is practical-technical. The information comes form several "news"-pages on several wikis, the mailinglists and IRC. There will be news I can not discover. If you have news found somewhere or from you own wiki please let my know. wikizine AT wikipedia.be
I can only create one version in something that supposed to be English. I count on the readers to inform there local wiki about the news in there own language.
Wikizine is send by use of the mailinglist Announce-l. It is only used for this. So people can subscribe without being swamped by emails like the lists.
I hope that you and others of your wiki will subscribe to Wikizine and give feedback. So that Wikizine can become really a source where Wikimedians can find out what is going on. Greetings, w:nl:gebruiker:Walter PS: do not repond here. I will not see it.
I don't have any particularly good tools, but I use several different things at once.
- Google, using "111.222.333.4444" as the query. If this returns a large number of hits you are likely dealing with an open proxy; add the word 'proxy' to your query and google will probably find several open proxy lists which include the IP number.
- DNSStuff.com, which has a range of useful tools. Make sure to look at the bottom of the page on search requests for a link to the currently banned IPs on DNSStuff - this list is an automated malware/open proxy/abuse list and is cross-referenced.
- A customized version of TimStarling's open port scanner - this is very crude, php, and cannot check for sock or telnet proxies. I use it to scan some of the more common ports which are used or vulnerable.
There are also software on the net which do more complex port scanning for open proxies; I haven't found any which work on my current OS so I'm making do with these simpler tools. - Amgine / talk meta 19:39, 7 January 2006 (UTC)
- This is because I use the standard Interwiki.py script. Isn't a good idea running a bot on service pages. Excuse me -- PietroDn 17:53, 28 January 2006 (UTC)
Election notice translationEdit
Hi! Thank you for your translation of Election notice! --Aphaia 09:57, 15 August 2006 (UTC)
This is a repeat vulnerable site which has been used by multiple spammers to base attacks. Rather than remove a site which has proven itself vulnerable such attacks, I suggest that pl.wp use their whitelist to allow specific sites to be added to the wiki. http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Spam-whitelist is used to allow specific urls to be added to the wikipedia. - Amgine / m | n 05:11, 11 September 2006 (UTC)
re:Sysop vote on dsb.wikipediaEdit
Hello Derbeth, please just put a request on Srp#Administrator_access, since the vote does not need to be closed by a steward, You can just put a request there after the local voting time ended, also, because I voted myself too, I would prefer that another steward fulfills the request. Best regards, --birdy geimfyglið (:> )=| 20:52, 20 May 2009 (UTC)
Dear Derbeth, since you are an administrator on a wiki from which no user participated in this discussion, I'd like to make sure you are aware of some recent events which may alter what the Wikimedia Foundation lets you do on your wiki: Superprotect.
- Request for comment: Requests for comment/Superprotect rights
- An open letter about its implementation: Letter to Wikimedia Foundation: Superprotect and Media Viewer
Peteforsyth 09:11, 12 September 2014 (UTC)