- Hi @L3X1:, thanks for reaching out and sorry about the delay in response. What do you think about those options – in-person, online or hybrid? Did you attend Wikimania 2021 as well? As you know, global circumstances around the pandemic are constantly changing although there does seem to be a positive trend overall in terms of vaccine equity. The Wikimania Steering Committee will be exploring multiple options for Wikimania 2022 in the meantime (with both in-person and online components) and we are hopeful the Foundation will provide some guidance in this regard over the next few months. MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 20:01, 8 November 2021 (UTC)
- @MPourzaki (WMF):, I feel with the way masks are seeming to stick around (I wear one in public, and Broadway theaters require 100% masking regardless of vaccination status), and the release of the booster shot as well as shots for younger children, that the virus will be considered a minor nuisance by next August. I do however believe it should have online accessibility, as it can increase attendance from those without the financial or time resources to attend in person. I signed up for WM2021 online but didn't participate due to a scheduling conflict, unfortunately.enL3X1 ¡‹delayed reaction›¡ 00:01, 15 November 2021 (UTC)
Some ideas from WikiTatikEdit
Dear friends, Sorry for puting down khaotic ideas. Hopefully we will have time for brainstorming. It will take time to clarify and systemize them. I don’t have an exact vision of online or hybrid Wikimania, but I would like to share some ideas on it.
I have very ambitious ideas on future of Wikimania. For instance each month's first Friday be announced as Wikimaniacs' day. Since meetings can be organized during the year, we can revert Wikimania into the habit to learn and to share more and even to get grades on Wiki, also to celebrate each achievement, to discuss each failure.
The first approximation could be Wikimaniac's month and division Wikimania's agenda within four or five Fridays of the month. Also it seems we need a little bit of systemization of the topics. Different levels of Wikimaniacs --WikiTatik (talk) 22:40, 9 November 2021 (UTC) Online Wikimania's advantage could be step by step study of Wikimedia entities, projects and the movement. We can organize curriculum for those, who wants to enlarge and deepen knowledge about Wikimedia projects, the and it's strategy. These can be permanent sessions. Since there is a gap in knowledge of Wikimania participants, we can offer guideline how to navigate within sessions, how to increase awareness. --WikiTatik (talk) 10:48, 10 November 2021 (UTC)
I think COT (not only) team needs DB of affiliate' activities.
- Hi WikiTatik, thanks for sharing your ideas and happy to keep the conversation going. Regarding the Fridays or monthly concepts, I know that such distributed models have been suggested before, but the committee has felt that maintaining the experience and spirit of Wikimania as a unique, global convening is important. Although, connecting Wikimanias to each other, to regional and thematic events, and all around continuing the momentum throughout the year is something we would like to do better. There have also been new topics each year as well as standing "permanent" ones, like community health, strategy, education, campaigns, metrics, GLAMs, etc. We hope to share the evaluation report from Wikimania 2021 soon and will use it as a foundation to build Wikimania 2022. I can already share that virtual Wikimania (2021) was the most accessible one yet with better participation than ever before and a great percentage of newcomers. MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 02:14, 16 November 2021 (UTC)
Wikimania 2022 modelEdit
As I understood we all agreed to have online Wikimania with the different level local meetings. Also, all responsibilities of local events will take local affiliates.
I'm suggesting going one step further, to organize workshops for newcomers and to settle Wikimedia awareness workshops. Last year we talked about workshops, but due to the short of time, was rejected. There might be other workshops as well.
We can organize all workshops beforehand.
- I agree WikiTatik. Given by the number of newcomers and the diversity of regional participation, I think we did a good job for Wikimania 2021. We should try to raise even more awareness for Wikimania 2022, including to the public, and support our communities well in organizing different local level meetings. Workshops are a great idea for that. MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 12:26, 23 November 2021 (UTC)
- Thank you Mehrdad for your feedback.
Sorry for bringing too much to Wikimania. My vision is that workshops can't be part of 3-5 days intensive sessions. They need time after to digest information that you get during the workshop, even try on your own. While other sessions are more cognitive, just to get information. So, my suggestion is to organize, to encourage workshops before hand under the umbrella of Wikimania, may be a month before. Also, I see a gap within the knowledge of wikimedians around the movement, around the projects. May be we need curriculum on Wikimedia, to deepen knowledge wikimedians. These could be organized by great speakers from the movement, also before hand of Wikimania.--WikiTatik (talk) 10:42, 25 November 2021 (UTC).
Privacy and FLOSS as mainstreamEdit
Hi Wikimania :) Some thougths:
- It is something that I also support and I hope that there is now enough time before next Wikimania to use Free or Open Source Software where possible and to pay attention to the privacy of the participants. At the end of december there will happen the Remote Chaos Communication Congress and there for the registrtation they used pretalx and only an E-Mailaddress was necessary to register. So maybe it will be possible to contact the organizers of this year Remote Chaos Communication Expierence to learn from them how it is possible to organize such an event and saving the privacy of the participants and using where possible Free or Open Source Software. It is possible if the will to do it is available and the expectations are not too high.--Hogü-456 (talk) 20:59, 15 December 2021 (UTC)
I wish that there are a lot of Local Meetups during Wikimania 2022 and for that a early enough anouncement when Wikimania will happen and how to register is needed. In Germany it is propably one of the countries with the most regular Meetups related to Wikimedia topics and last year I tried to organize one during Wikimania but no other person was interested in it.--Hogü-456 (talk) 22:02, 4 March 2022 (UTC)
- I too am curious as to how many are being planned per region or country. enL3X1 ¡‹delayed reaction›¡ 22:09, 3 April 2022 (UTC)
- In the next month or so the COT will be designing and sharing the process for applying for grants for in-person Wikimania events. You may have seen the Foundation announced the lifting of the COVID travel restrictions on grants last week, so that will enable more people to meet. When grants for events open we'll have a better idea of the level of interest per country/region. --ELappen (WMF) (talk) 17:30, 5 April 2022 (UTC)
Please make it possible that for the registration for Wikimania 2022 as a virtual event only an E-Mailaddress is needed with the possibilty to sign in at a public page and then get the link to the platform via Wikimail or using the Wikimedia User accounts for Authentification with Single Sign On and so no additional registration is needed. I have seen that solution at a Wikidata event and I really liked it. From my point of view other informations additional to an address to send a link to are not relevant for the organizers. This can reduce the analysis you can do about how the movement is represented at such an event but from my point of view I do not need such analysis. Privacy is from my point of view very important and the Wikimedia projects and other online projects are a possibilty to participate in a project anonymous what I really like.--Hogü-456 (talk) 22:12, 4 March 2022 (UTC)
Since I have not received an answer at Wikimania wiki, maybe someone from the organisation team can have a look at my request at wikimania:Wikimania:Requests for rights. Feel free to contact me, if you have any questions. Best regards --Ameisenigel (talk) 16:56, 19 June 2022 (UTC)
- Hi @Ameisenigel
- Your request was taken and put into consideration by the Wikimania 2022 organizing committee (COT) and they have decided to grant you the translator permission for this year.
- Regards. Omar sansi (talk) 16:14, 27 June 2022 (UTC)
Wikimania 2023 -- in person?Edit
I can see that the Wikimania for 2022 organization is in process, and that similar to 2021, it will be mostly virtual. Thank you to the organizers for their on-going efforts. My question is whether this virtual format is happening this way still because we are on the -hopefully- tail-end of the pandemic, or if it is a more permanent shift.
I understand that the virtual setting came with benefits of more people being able to attend (in fact 2021 was my first year attending). However, also for years I have been dreaming about finally traveling in person to the world-wide Wikimania gathering -- there is something magical about in-person conferences, meeting people from around the world. And next year I might be able to pull it off -- if the location announcement was made sufficiently in advance.
So here I am asking what are the organizers' thinking about resuming the traditional annual world-wide in-person gathering (while possibly making it hybrid for virtual attendees), and to more specifically ask about if 2023 will be in person, and if so, when would a location be decided. P.S: If I should be asking this in a different forum, I'd appreciate you telling me where to go. Thank you. Al83tito (talk) 22:30, 22 June 2022 (UTC)
- I am in favor of allowing on-site and virtual participation at Wikimania 2023. Personally, I don't like flights and I don't want to visit dictatorships. This year's Wikimania was scheduled in Bangkok. This is in Thailand a country that is a military dictatorship. A way to participate online causes less resource consumption and is therefore better for the environment. It also allows more people to participate.--Hogü-456 (talk) 19:12, 27 June 2022 (UTC)
- Hi @Al83tito! Thanks for the question! The TLDR is that the Steering Committee and others also agree that Wikimania should resume (safe) in-person convening, coupled with a virtual component. You can see the discussions for Wikimania 2023 on the Wikimania Steering Committee page here! JLetang (WMF) (talk) 09:09, 29 June 2022 (UTC)