Requests for new languages/Wiktionary Thao
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wiktionary Thao|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||ssf (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Thao||Language name in English|
|Language name||Thau a lalawa||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q676492 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||LTR||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Project name||"Wiktionary" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wiktionary talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:...||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Taipei||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
I've notice that some Thao editors are quite active these days. For the Wikipedia project, they've already have their Incubator to update there. And now it seems they also try to build their Wiktionary at the same time. I am here to request for them to create their Incubator for Wiktionary.
@Iyumu: About 3 years ago, a Wikipedia request about Thao was rejected because "SIL now categorizes this language as extinct. In that case, the language needs to meet the stricter standards for eligibility of extinct and historical languages, and Thao does not. Project can remain on Incubator." are you willing to make responses to it? --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 10:47, 9 June 2021 (UTC)
- Comment currently ancient languages are not eligible for new wikis. I have submit request for comment requesting to change this policy and to start allowing ancient languages. Feel free to sign your support here. Thanks in advance, -Gifnk dlm 2020 (talk) 11:52, 9 June 2021 (UTC)
- @Gifnk dlm 2020: Canvassing? Also I'm discussion the Thao itself, not your RFC, see what Prosfilaes answered you about "you can also learn Middle English, Ancient Greek, Latin, Sanskrit, Ancient Egyptian, etc..." --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 01:07, 10 June 2021 (UTC)