Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Yurok
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Yurok|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||yur (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Yurok||Language name in English|
|Language name||Pueleekla’||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q34685 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||LTR||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Project name||Wikipedia||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||toh||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||North America/America||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
- Comment Currently Ancient languages are not eligible for new wikis. There has been a request to change this policy. You can sign your support here. BTW, I checked up on this language and apparently it isn’t really an ancient language and that there is an ongoing revival of it however it’s still classified as an extinct language so I thought that speakers of this language might benefit from my proposal. -Gifnk dlm 2020 (talk) 14:46, 28 May 2021 (UTC)
- The language is trying to be revived. Fo now, there are no fluent native speakers, and only a very tiny L2 community. These people need learning materials and text in Yurok, in order to acquire the language and pass it on to the next generation eventually. For now, I doubt that there will be any people who could a) contribute in adequate Yurok and/or b) evaluate the linguistic quality of contributions in Yurok. --✍ Janwo Disk./de:wp 05:24, 10 September 2021 (UTC)