Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Shina
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Shina|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||scl (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Shina||Language name in English|
|Language name||شینا||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q1353320 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Project name||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||WikiShina.png||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Gilgit-Baltistan||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Shina is a living language of Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan. (with more than 500,000 speakers). Shina is a language from the Dardic sub-group of the Indo-Aryan languages family spoken by the Shina people, a plurality of the people in Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan. The separate nature of the Dardic languages is still clear, however, form their close relationship with other Indo-Aryan languages, especially Urdu, Hindi and Punjabi.
The Shina language is the most spoken language in Gilgit-Baltistan and Kashmir, including some parts of India. It has around 500,000 speakers in 1981 to 1998, and it's growing every year. Making the Wikipedia of its own would be a good idea for the speakers and for the language itself. I got this idea from other Pakistani languages, such as Khowar Wikipedia and a few more. From that, I started to think, "why can't I create my own language Wikipedia?". So, please create this Wikipedia language as it will help some people that doesn't understand many of the words of other languages very good. So, in order to help many other people, I decided to make this Wikipedia language, to rich out all the people in Northern Pakistan, and parts of the Kashmir and as well as for the people of North-western India (because they speak nearly-same language as Shina). Khesrawkakakhail (talk) 21:59, 11 December 2015 (UTC)
Arguments in favourEdit
- Strong Support -- Razi Kazmi 22:08, 15 May 2017 (UTC+2)
- Strong Support --Rehmat Aziz Chitrali 09:42, 14 December 2015 (UTC)
- Strong Support Shina is the most spoken language of Gilgit-Baltistan and Kashmir. So I recommend this language to be in Wikipedia in the best interest of the speakers.Khesrawkakakhail (talk) 05:11, 18 December 2015 (UTC)
- Support Every journey is started with a small and single step..... Hence no reason to not accept and Shina Language must be created on Wikipedia.Sheen 12:13, 18 December 2015 (UTC)
- Strong Support -- RAChitrali 05:13, 15 January 2019 (UTC)
- I had actually considered making this proposal a couple of month ago, and think that it would be a great idea! Shina is a major, widely-used language, and this site could be very beneficial to those learning the language, or those who are not fully fluent in it. Especially useful all around Pakistan! I will be very glad in doing my best to create it and and will gladly help when somebody would feel bother. Khesrawkakakhail (talk) 12:31, 18 December 2015 (UTC)