Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Persian (in Latinized alphabet)
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Persian (in Latinized alphabet)|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||pes (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Persian||Language name in English|
|Language name||Pârsi (in Latinized alphabet)||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q9168 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Project name||Wikipediâ||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||+3:30 Tehran||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
I would like to request for the content development in a Latin-based alphabet for the Wikipedia contents, which are in the Persian language and are written in the Arabic script.
The alphabet mentioned in this proposal (called "Pârstin"),which has been originally suggested by the renowned contemporary Persian linguist M. Adib-Soltani, is based on a modified version of the Latin alphabet. The letters of this modified alphabet are included at the end of this text.
I believe a language is the entry point in to the culture and mentality of the people, who speak that language. Thus, facilitating the development and spread of the Latinized Persian script on the internet, opens up the door for the broader world audience into the Persian language and culture. Iran, with the largest population of Persian speakers (among Afghanistan, Tajikestan and Uzbekistan) has a young and tech-savvy population (with estimates of about 70% of the population being under or about the age of 30), who on a daily basis use the so-called "Finglish" (combination of the words Farsi and English) alphabet for online communication and texting. This organically-grown, and rather unstructured adaptation in the style of communication among the young Persian speakers points at their willingness towards cultural growth into becoming more interconnected with the international community. However, this cultural movement has no platform to manifest itself. Wikipedia, as one of the most popular sources of information on the internet, has the potential to provide a platform for such a bottom-to-top transformation of the way Persian is written, read and spoken in the future.
Thank you for your attention and support.
The letters of this alphabet include: The basic Latin letters: Aa, Bb, Cc, Dd, Ee, Ff, Gg, Hh, Ii, Jj, Kk, Ll, Mm, Nn, Oo, Pp, Qq, Rr, Ss, Tt, Uu, Vv, Ww, Xx, Yy, Zz, plus the additional letters to support the native sounds: Ââ, Čč, Šš, Žž
16:02, 8 April 2020 (UTC)
merged from : Persian (Fârsi) has 2 alphabets like Kurdish, Turkish, etc. Those languages have 2 wikipedia for their 2 writing systems. Persian (Pârsi) should has 2 wikipedia for who can read Arabic alphabets like Iranias and everybody who can't read it and use the Latin alphabet, like Iranians who immigrated outside and have children, Tajiks, etc. Please support Perože "Wikipedya ye Pârsi" User:Mahdi.98.98 (talk) 02:51, 12 June 2020 (UTC)
- @Yit001: Per AGF, I assume that you're withdrawing your RFL? --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 23:57, 20 April 2020 (UTC)
- It should be noted that Tajik Wikipedia is essentially Wikipedia in Persian language, using Cyrillic.--Reciprocist (talk) 15:41, 7 May 2020 (UTC)
- Oppose. Please reject this request and consider an Arabic-to-Latin converter on Persian Wikipedia. --Agusbou2015 (talk) 17:43, 21 May 2020 (UTC)
- Oppose Please reject this request and consider an Arabic-to-Latin converter on Persian Wikipedia. のここり ♫ 08:23, 5 June 2020 (UTC)
- Oppose Please reject this request and consider an Arabic-to-Latin converter on Persian Wikipedia. Like on the Kazakh and Tajik Wikipedias. A455bcd9 (talk) 08:14, 2 July 2020 (UTC)