Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Marwari
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Marwari|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||rwr (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Marwari||Language name in English|
|Language name||मारवाड़ी||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q65455884 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Project name||विकिपीडिया||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||विकिपीडिया||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||विकिपीडिया वार्ता||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:Wikipedia-logo-v2-hi.svg||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||IST (UTC+05:30)||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
The Marwari language (Mārwāṛī; also variously Marvari, Marwadi, Marvadi) is spoken in the Indian state of Rajasthan, Haryana but is also found in the neighboring state of Gujarat and in Eastern Pakistan. With some 13.2 million speakers (as of 1997, ca. 13 million in India and 200,000 in Pakistan) it is the largest language by number of speakers of the Marwari subgroup of the "Rajasthani language" There about 23 dialects of the Marwari Language. It is written with the Mahajani and Devanagari script, as is Hindi, Sanskrit, Marathi and Nepali. In Pakistan it is written in the Perso-Arabic script with modifications. Marwari currently has no official status as a language of education and government. There has been a push in the recent past for the national government to recognize this language and give it a scheduled status. The state of Rajasthan recognizes Rajasthani as a language. In Pakistan, there are two varieties of Marwari. They may or may not be close enough to Indian Marwari to be considered the same language. Closely related languages to Marwari in the Rajasthani cluster are: Gojri, Shekhawati, Hadoti, Dhundhari, Mewari, Brij, Bagri, Wagdi, Mewati, and others. There are ongoing efforts to identify and classify this language cluster and the language differences.
Arguments in favourEdit
- Support: As and per nom. As a native speaker, I can assert that Marwari is a widely spoken language and that the community will benefit with such a Wiki. Avenue X at Cicero 12:41, 1 September 2011 (UTC)
- Support: Strongly Support for this rich language. Spoken widely in India and Nepal. Biplab Anand (Talk to me) 07:12, 8 August 2015 (UTC)
- Support: Full Support VSR07 (talk) 16:21, 24 June 2017 (UTC)
- Support: More Indian languages could benefit from representation on Wikipedia. AryamanA (talk) 02:11, 10 April 2018 (UTC)
- This wikipedia should be confined only to Marwari language as in western Rajasthan.Not to be confused with Rajasthani and other dialects.