Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Manchu
- See also the second request (verified as eligible).
|←main page||Requests for new languages (Wikipedia Manchu)|
|Please read the handbook for requesters for help using this template correctly.|
- Number of speakers: 20 to 50 en:Manchu, 170,000 en:Xibe, 132,000 en:Daur, estimated 1 to 1.2 million ethnic Manchu and Han people speak basic & simple Manchu language
- Locations spoken: China, Taiwan, Japan, United States
- Promoting organizations: http://www.qiren.cn/
- I support a Xibe (or Manchu-Xibe) wiki, in the traditional script if possible. I guess a combined wiki with classical Manchu could be feasible, since the two are considered to be quite close, but I doubt there would be many people to contribute in classical Manchu. There are probably about 40,000 speakers of Xibe, the most speakers of any Tungusic language. The Daur, however, speak a language related to Mongolian. In the past they used Manchu as a second language, but I don't think that is true any more. --Chamdarae 07:09, 5 October 2005 (UTC) (updated 20:54, 15 October 2005 (UTC))
- Support. We can easily fit Xibe and Manchu into one Wikipedia - just quite similar. Caesarion Velim, non opto 10:43, 5 October 2005 (UTC)
- Support--Ffaarr 13:46, 24 October 2005 (UTC)
- Support with enthusiasm. It's great to see requests for endangered languages. Ronline 08:43, 28 October 2005 (UTC)
- Support --Taichi - (^_^) 09:53, 6 November 2005 (UTC)
22:50, 15 November 2005 (UTC)
- Oppose. We have no speakers of this language here yet... --`Node ue 03:00, 18 November 2005 (UTC)
- Weak Oppose as long as no native speakers confirm that Manchu, Xibe and Daur are so similar that they can share one common Wikipedia. A wiki for a handful of Manchu speakers only isn't a very promising undertaking. Arbeo 15:38, 30 March 2006 (UTC)
- Cautiously Support -- Xibe and Manchu would fit into one wikipedia perfectly well. I do not know any Daur but as far as I understand it's not compatible. Still the other two would be fine, yet I am not totally sure if there would be enough contributors. Laca 20:34, 9 May 2006 (UTC)
- Support--Xibe is a division of Manchu in Xinjiang, Xibe Wikipedia can be intergrated into Manchu Wikipedia, or combine with Manchu to form a Manchu-Xibe Wikipedia. Oscarcwk 07:14, 28 July 2006 (UTC)
- I hope the Manchu Wikipedia can be presented in both triditional script and latin translation because the reason to keep Manchu and most computer can't show Manchu Script. Oscarcwk 07:16, 28 July 2006 (UTC)
- Fully Support
- Support —zhalalijiao Though there is gloomy hope for the language, we should not give up. However, it is not a good proposal to combine Xibe and Manchu as far as I am concerned.16:50, 24 October 2006 (UTC)
- Support It will be good to see a Tungusic language having its own Wiki. Are any of native speakers? Some of you talk about those languages like you know them well, please say how much you know so this can go ahead. --Zabumon 01:21, 15 November 2006 (UTC)
- Strongly Support Among Tungusic languages, some of them are considered as Endangered language, we need to create a wikipedian portal it will probably help in reviving those languages avoiding them to become Extinct language.
- Manchuria/Tungusic history and culture are rich. Tungusic Wikipedia will also help the other Wikipedian in adopting a NPOV i am targeting especially Korean nationalist (Irredentist) and Chinese nationalist supporting Chinese North East Project (東北工程) policy see Talk:Goguryeo and Talk:Balhae. Tungusic ethnic peoples can also have their own point of view. I adopt this position because i discovered while i was writing Goguryeo language the relationship between several languges.
- As said the Latin Proverb "Verba volant, scripta manent" (words fly, written stays).
Regards. Whlee 14:57, 30 March 2007 (UTC)