Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Hijazi Arabic
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Hijazi Arabic|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||acw (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Hijazi Arabic||Language name in English|
|Language name||الحجازيه||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q56608 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Project name||ويكيپيديا||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:...||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Jedda||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Hijazi Arabic is a language with over 6 million native speakers in Saudi Arabia and Eritrea, and is also the most widely understood second language among Arabic speakers on the Arabian Peninsula. It is in active use on radio and television in Saudi Arabia and in social media online. It is sufficiently distinct in its grammar, vocabulary, and orthography from Modern Standard Arabic to warrant its inclusion, to as equal a degree as Egyptian Arabic which has at present its own Wikipedia--Dirtylittlefingers (talk) 21:51, 24 February 2016 (UTC)
- Oppose --Alaa :)..! 11:44, 25 November 2017 (UTC)
- Oppose it is not a separate language but rather an accent of Arabic language---مصعب (talk) 12:25, 25 November 2017 (UTC)
- Oppose --أبو هشام السوعان (talk) 10:47, 5 July 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose -- What a absurd coincidences! Migration season to the absurd. -- صالح (talk) 19:50, 5 July 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose As long as there is an Arabic encyclopedia, there is no benefit from this project. --عبد الله (talk) 06:19, 7 July 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose -- I am from Hijaz and my language is Arabic, it is not a separate language.--Bander7799 (talk) 08:47, 7 July 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose All speakers of Hijazi understand and speak Arabic as an official language. So I'm definitely against these projects.--Faisal talk 15:44, 7 July 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose No need to create too many Arabic dialects wikis, their users can and should contribute to ar:. --18.104.22.168 09:09, 24 July 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose It's a dialect of Arabic, this is why we have an Arabic Wikipedia. Random Wikimedian (talk) 13:55, 2 October 2019 (UTC)
- Support --Hijazi is a language with a different phonology, its grammar is quite different along with its vocabulary.--Al-khataei (talk) 14:57, 14 September 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose There are no Hijazi community members Saudi Arabic users are very pro-arwiki, I strongly urge lancom members to speedy veto this. --22.214.171.124 22:48, 18 December 2019 (UTC)