Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Bafia
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Bafia|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||ksf (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Bafia||Language name in English|
|Language name||rikpa||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q34930 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Community||UJung (N), Dor_nis (N), Tamara Ustinova|
You can optionally list your user name if you are an active contributor to the test wiki. Add "N" next to your name if you are a native speaker of this language.
|Project name||Wikipɛ́dya||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||Wikipɛ́dya||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||Discussion Wikipɛ́dya||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:Wikipedia svg logo-ksf.png||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||WAT (UTC+1)||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Rikpa aka Bafia is a language mainly spoken in the capital of the Mbam and Inoubou Division with the same name in Cameroon's Center region. Another main cluster of speakers can be find in Cameroons capital Yaounde. Ethnologue refers to a census from 1991 which deals with about 60.000 speakers. Due to demographic growth and social demographic factors the number of speakers should reached 120.000 to 150.000. One of the main targets of the proposal is to provide an online platform, where written texts can be easily published and cross checked. This will help to promote local culture and the use of an own languages for the transfer of information. UJung 09:48, 23 March 2011 (UTC)
Arguments in favourEdit
- Native speakers are at the starting point. This request is a practical test of how a wikipedia project can be started and organized for one or more Cameroon languages. The project is part of a workshop series about localization of Cameroon languages. It's called "Going kompyuta"( ). So please be patient and give us a chance. Request for other CM_languages will come soon. UJung 21:14, 24 March 2011 (UTC)
- Native speakers are now in the group UJung 20:14, 16 April 2011 (UTC)
- Support. Pretty little Wiki.--Tamara Ustinova 19:11, 18 October 2011 (UTC)
- Support per above.--Ħalliel 10:17, 19 October 2011 (UTC)
- Support. 60.000 speakers is a lot. Wikipedia will help the building of educators and intellectuals and will help to fight illiteracy in Africa. Kubura 03:48, 26 December 2011 (UTC)
- Oppose No native speakers of this language indicated working on this particular project. :| TelCoNaSpVe :| 19:52, 24 March 2011 (UTC)