A small but lively and steadily growing on-line language-recovery community is already established for this highly endangered language. This community, which includes some native speakers and many language learners and enthusiasts, largely functions through a cluster of facebook groups (e.g. https://www.facebook.com/groups/33974937500 or https://www.facebook.com/groups/471000739633683/), websites (see http://alanrking.info/nawat.php and http://nebibliaj.org/) and the Nawat Wikipedia in the incubator (http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/ppl/Achtu_Iswat). While the rhythm of activity in the wikipedia might be considered very slow, this is in accord with our present resources and the project is nonetheless alive; efforts are made to build it slowly but coherently and we encourage people in our community to read it; furthermore, production is an excellent way to cultivate and motivate the language skills of both editors and readers. The present proposal is to expand this resource in scope through the creation of a Wikinews sister project, which is expected to serve a similar function but allow editors to develop current-affairs or journalistic-type content in addition to the current encyclopaedic material. Time will tell how much uptake this gets, as with any new project, but at this point it seems worth trying. The Nawat wikipedia project (in incubator) is several years old and has not "died" but continues to be used and maintained. The idea of exchanging news in Nawat (sometimes) is also not completely new as this has happened already to a limited extent on the aforementioned FB groups, in a sporadic way. The existence of the Nawat Wikinews project as a natural extension of that may serve to stimulate more intense and frequent writing, reading and communication leading in turn to further use of these Wikiprojects, creating a circular feedback loop that favours Nawat language recovery, our ultimate goal. Initially we might consider this initiative to be experimental but it seems like it's worth a try. I hope the Wikimedia community can support this!
- The following discussion is closed. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section.
Arguments in favourEdit
- Strong support, I just see a great work on Incubator now. --Tamara Ustinova (talk) 18:36, 17 April 2013 (UTC)
- Oppose - Unless huge issues with Wikinews are resolved, let's not create any more Wikinews projects yet. --George Ho (talk) 05:05, 27 April 2017 (UTC)
Um, a well developed non-Wikipedia test project in the problemic Nahuatl series languages. Not sure if waiting how many years to see its creation, or maybe just reject? --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 11:55, 4 May 2018 (UTC)
- On closing, I'll note that this isn't getting created any time soon, so I wouldn't worry too much. StevenJ81 (talk) 23:02, 4 December 2018 (UTC)
- The above discussion is preserved as an archive. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section.