Requests for new languages/Wikinews Malayalam
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikinews Malayalam|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||ml (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Malayalam||Language name in English|
|Language name||മലയാളം||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q36236 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||LTR||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Links||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||വിക്കിവാർത്തകൾ||"Wikinews" in your language|
|Project namespace||Wikinews Malayalam||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||Discussion Wikinews||"Wikinews talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:Wikipedia svg logo-ml.svg||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||IST (UTC+5:30)||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
|submit Phabricator task (includes everything automatically, except additional namespaces/settings)|
Replace this line with your opening argument in favour of the new project.
Arguments in favourEdit
- Eventhough Malayalam wiki is one of the most emerging one, it lacking wikinews project --Anilankv (talk) 03:12, 4 June 2011 (UTC)
- There shall be a number of contributors Malayalam Wikinews --Anilankv (talk) 03:12, 4 June 2011 (UTC)
- Strong support--nijil 04:02, 7 October 2011 (UTC)
- Support --Kiran Gopi 05:53, 11 October 2011 (UTC)
- Support --ജിഷിന്.എ.വി. 3:44, 09 December 2011 (UTC)
- Support --Fotokannan 10:04, 10 January 2012 (UTC)
- Support --Tgsurendran 09:52, 12 January 2012 (UTC)
- Support --Ephert (talk) 03:33, 23 September 2012 (UTC)
- Support -- Nikosgranturismogt (talk) 12:03, 16 June 2014 (UTC)
- Strong support because there are enough native editors and they are willing to commit and help improve Wikinews Malayalam once the projects stands firm. --Rovine
- Support --ഏത്തപഴം (talk) 05:36, 5 May 2016 (UTC)
- Support --991joseph (talk) 04:05, 13 January 2018 (UTC)
- Oppose. I strongly believe that the Malayalam Wikinews will not have a strong and permanent editor base as enjoyed by the Malayalam Wikipedia. Wikinews is a project which requires constant update and new articles should be reviewed and published immediately, which in fact requires a large no. of editors. There is no proof that it will be able to overcome the hurdles faced by the English Wikinews. Please take a look at an article published in the Wikipedia Signpost here. - Jayadevp13 (talk) 05:48, 19 July 2013 (UTC)