Requests for new languages/Wikinews Assamese
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikinews Assamese|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||as (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Assamese||Language name in English|
|Language name||ৱিকিউক্তি||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q29401 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Project name||"Wikinews" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikinews talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:...||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Kalkota||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Assamese language is spoken in Assam (India), West Bengal (India), Arunachal (India), they use Arunachali dialect of Assamese, Nagaland(India), they use Nagamese dialect of Assamese, Bangladesh and various places of the Assamese communities (large number seen in Bangalore(India), Pune(India), the United States etc.) in various parts of world. Assamese is the official language in Assam Approximately 16,709,000 people in Assam speak Assamese, Dialects: Jharwa (Pidgin), Mayang, Standard Assamese, Western Assamese (Kamrupi), Nagamese and Arunachali Assamese is often used in all the states various ways, like words borrowed from it or as a connecting language. Assamese has been working as a very important connecting language in North- East India since medieval times. --22.214.171.124 14:44, 19 January 2020 (UTC)
- Oppose This is an extremely premature nomination. incubator:Category:Wn/as has 11 articles (plus the main page), all a few sentences long. This is nowhere near showing a community that would actually support writing citizen journalism in Assamese. Additionally, Wikinews generally speaking is one of the sister projects with the least activity and content, so I would want to be very conservative about jump-starting a new edition. —Justin (koavf)❤T☮C☺M☯ 23:25, 13 March 2020 (UTC)
- Support As also being an Asian people, I would say that populating the test project won't be hard. --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 13:24, 14 March 2020 (UTC)