- See also Three-year plan and Five-year plan
- This plan is not official, but is a brainstorming area for any user to suggest to the board what their focus should be over the next three years.
More current than the three-year plan, and organized slighty differently for now. Will be merged into a parallel format soon.
- collateral, artefacts of progress:
- data sheets (traffic, popularity, content, ref,usage, user activity)
- data collection. Feedback loops.
- stats for the above, internal clickthru, ref, usabilitz studies
- group wrk on papers, presentations, pubs.
- better notes about users, personal(optional) info and communication/mail prefs...
- open committees in charge of manz things ( main page, dev outreach, edition outreach, r responses and releases, grants, new projects, finance, disaster planning, trnslation, user outreadh, internal comunication, process review/auditing )
- staff (local oncall sysadmin, secretary fo jwales)
- groundwork for redundancy in every way. (see 3- and 5yr plans for more)
- Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Category math feature
Projects, prioritization, timelinesEdit
- well-manicured list of projs, contacts, interconnections.
- help visitors, newbies get a sense of structure
- list competitors, possible futures, new missions, resources for editors, possible advisors and reviewers
- projected timelines (order of operations, if not specific dates)
- prioritization of pending tasks, even across projects (wrt dev, admin, overhead time in particular)
- separate grant, dev, mission priorities
- standards of reporting, policz, selfmonitoring. Ask this of internal projects, and external projs that want to be considered "blessed" or highlited
- # of members, reports/ambassadors, unified discussion/help pages, addressing of wazs to add translations, wazs to directlz link to specific versions, easz thirdparty export/reuse.
- public status-stats pages, more than just RC (but ecompassing it)
- make users and user features primarz parts of the communitz.
- watching friends watchlists, having Shared watchlists for a topic/userset/common vandals (to increase cacheability of popular watches and reduce workload in pruning such lists)
- networks of friends
- allowing more structured personal information, user browsing-searching, easier group * easier group formation (make groups real elements, not vague ones, searchable by properties and information fields
- We consistently win major awards for community and lose points for poor searching, without even mentioning searchability and community in our mission statement(s).
- We should add community to our mission statements and selfimage, and work on developing the latter in a variety of specific, constrained ways (not just making the current fulltext search faster; diverting searches from fulltext to more efficient narrow searches also makes things faster!)
- Clean crisp mission statements for each project (a criterion for being listed on the main page?)
- availalbe in three+ levels of detail - a 3 sentence elevator pitch, a 3paragraph summary, a 3-page plan.
- sumaries should be "executive", focusing on the target, methods, actors, audience, difference from existing setups.
- plans should be "business" stzle, covering prior art, competitors, resource requirements and funding options, personnel, more.
- vision from jwales; also from communitz, external groups.
- historical visions for comparison-context.
- shared visions of other grps... overlaps, parallels, conflicts.
- community, regular. discussed often on the lists and onwiki.
- external, encouraged. reporters, academics, other.
- expert, advisory reviews (internal, regular)
- piecewise, topical reviews (applicable to each of the above). filtering by topic... starting small.