- 6/26-28 MediaWiki 1.5 starts being applied to all projects. en is taken down from 6-20? UTC for the upgrade. Shiny internals!
- June Check-usage tool for checking where a given commons image is used.
- MediaWiki 1.44 stable released. eNotif released to work with it.
- S 5/3 MediaWiki 1.5 alpha1 undergoing testing. Reviewing feature broken, according to Brion.
- Template images not all back yet; see list.
- Search update: C# component being integrated with Lucene search.
- Performance: LDC mentions an order of magnitude improvement waiting to happen from code rewriting alone; Magnus revisits Timwi's partially-completed work on a Bison-based parser. Tim notes poor tight-loop performance in interpreted langs.
- S 5/7 RC bot for enrc moved to a wikimedia irc server: irc.wikimedia.org; discussion underway about how freenode could be more friendly to our bot-uses.
- M 5/9 brion installs curl; 20 machines arrive (some were racked up Fri) and Chad networks them.
- T 5/10 "Acute growing pains," caused by peaks of 2000 hits/sec and [reaching the 'maximum connections' limit on our memory-cache cloud, kill the image server .
- May, again in June Jwales asks for mid-term hosting suggestions on the -tech mailing list. Responses from many people, asking for backups and read-only fallbacks among other things.
- COTW: A new collaboration should be selected.
- New backup project and static-mirror project proposed on tech-l.
- Vandalism-monitoring : Cryptoderk has a functional java app working; Erik M. and Angela already hooked. See also the general-purpose rcbirds.
- N 5/8 IRC:EdenG starts working on replicating something like the fr: squid setup, after correspondence with jwales, timstarling and others.
- Georg Jaehnig mentions the idea of a WikiZeitgeist statistics project
- T 5/11 Wikipedia widget avail for MacOS 10.4 ('Tiger')
numbers to be tracked down and dated
- May 20 Name frequency and birth-year distribution available for de:
- April Detailed audience stats released by UK's Hitwise.
- Website speed according to Alexa.
- monthly Wikimedia Multilingual stats and awareness stats.
- Wikiquote multilingual statistics
- Groups refs, News refs, &c.
- DVD sales, CD sales.
- French squids stats (breakdown by region via geo-IP)
- # of users, langs edited in the last week.
- # of user talk pages edited in the last week
- visitors per lang per day. peak alexa rank.
- # of servers total (up/down/shipping)
- db queries/hr.
- # of devs making CVS commits in last fortnight. # with access total.
- # of non-core devs on separate Sourceforge project for MWiki extenders
- Popularity rank of WP plugins and extensions. # of extensions..
- EC Meetup
- New Zachte stat noted : % of edits by % of users.
- Board election org team chosen; new meta page, coordination pages.
- Wikimania CfP deadline approaches; registration continues until 7/1
- Video enthusiast DV leaves Wikinews, annoyed by latest vandalism spree
- SPK/PF sue Foundation (and German chapter?)
- Brockhaus plagiarism suspected. "Mistakes were probably made" they say, and remove the offending article after a few days of investigation.
- Slate Hitchhiker article
- S 5/3? Financial Times piece on WP and anarchy
- Article by Anthere in the French press
- S 5/7 Foxtrot comic about Wikipedia and rabies
- W 5/11 Kevin Holland : Wikis will fundamentally change associations.
Policy & StyleEdit
- en: - New templates chosen on EN:wp.
- meta - New voting discussed for elections (no distinction)
- en: - Stub-sorters ask for Stubs for Deletion page
- JWales asks about volunteer squid proxies; what is really useful.
- en: - Wikipedia:Mediation Cabal page created to facilitate mediation
- meta - Discussion on foundation-l about whether jawp wants or needs an ArbCom-like entity, following Aphaia's persistent problems in the community
- N 6/26 Summer media & writing contest announced; 21 categories, diverse awards.
- FAs, FPs: en, de, commons...
- new videos, sound files
- Scoops on Wikinews, WP, etc. AI news story via Cameo.
- New portals, category schemes, lists
- Contests! Media and writing contests; Original Reporting contest on Wikinews.