People of all ages and all Wikimedia projects are welcome. Complete newbies also welcome!
|London 151||9 February|
|Oxford 79||19 January|
|London 150||12 January|
|New York City||18 December|
|Cambridge 42||14 December|
|Hong Kong 122||23 November|
|Beijing 17||6 October|
|Shenyang 3||13 September|
|Igbo Wiki Strategy Salon||24 August|
|Manchester 36||9 June|
|London SkillShare 2||7 May|
|list of regular meetups|
|London · Hong Kong|
Date and time: Sunday 11 November 2018 — 13:00 onwardsEdit
Location: Penderel's Oak Pub, Holborn, London WC1Edit
Please also invite any London Wikimedia people you know (or have had wiki dealings with) – spread the word!
Add your name to the list by adding a hash and four tildes like this: # ~~~~
- Philafrenzy (talk) 18:07, 14 October 2018 (UTC)
- This month I can't make it at the beginning, but hope to be there by 2PM. WereSpielChequers (talk) 07:50, 17 October 2018 (UTC)
- Moved to London recently but unfortunately missed the last meetup by about a day. Seriously keen on making this one. Insertcleverphrasehere (talk) 06:33, 23 October 2018 (UTC)
- Almost certainly. Thryduulf (talk: meta · en.wp · wikidata) 21:38, 23 October 2018 (UTC)
- I like to think so. Leutha (talk) 22:10, 30 October 2018 (UTC)
- It's Armistice Day and I'd expect this to be a big deal as it's the centenary of the actual Armistice. There will be events in central London like the torch ceremony and I'll try to get to those using the meetup as a staging point and base. In 2014, I got some good photos of the Spectra and Blood Swept Lands installations and will be looking out similar photo opportunities. Andrew D. (talk) 20:25, 5 November 2018 (UTC)
- ClemRutter (talk) 12:47, 6 November 2018 (UTC)
- Expecting to come. Johnbod (talk) 17:24, 6 November 2018 (UTC)
- Edwardx (talk) 13:36, 7 November 2018 (UTC)
- Whispyhistory (talk) 18:08, 8 November 2018 (UTC) as usual.
- smitatk (talk) New to Wikipedia, looking froward to learn tips from experienced writers.
- --Redrose64 (talk; at English Wikipedia) 10:04, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
- I'll be around after 7pm; if nobody is about, I'll head for the Tower of London events instead. Ritchie333 (talk) 12:10, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
May be attendingEdit
- Hopefully I'll make it this month. Joseph2302 (talk) 10:41, 15 October 2018 (UTC)
- Maybe, maybe not. Incidentally this meetup is not currently in the wathclist geonotices, although three other London events are there. Amakuru (talk) 12:40, 30 October 2018 (UTC)
- @Amakuru: No, it's not in the geonotices: in the past, I would put up a geonotice two or three weeks in advance of the meetup, like this. Editing w:MediaWiki:Gadget-geonotice-list.js requires the w:WP:INTADMIN right, but recently all admins on English Wikipedia (myself included) have been stripped of this right, with the exception of a select few (originally five, now 13), so I can't update geonotices any more, and instead need to submit a formal edit request. I can't even fix simple typos made by others, it's very annoying. --Redrose64 (talk; at English Wikipedia) 13:18, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
- I've submitted the request, let's see if it goes through: they complained about the last one. --Redrose64 (talk; at English Wikipedia) 13:33, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
- The Hong Kong meetup was listed without an issue, so I'm sure a geonotice for the London area will be fine. @Redrose64: Have you tried en:Wikipedia:Interface administrators' noticeboard WhisperToMe (talk) 15:13, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
Interested but not attendingEdit
About the meetupEdit
London meetups are generally casual social events where we...
- Drink coffee, beer, tea and some of us have Sunday brunch. Sunday roasts are no longer offered but they do a reasonable pizza now and have a range of other snacks and dishes.
- Welcome guests from around the world and other groups which meet there
- Chat about Wikimedia or any other topics
- Experienced Wikimedians help out new editors and share experiences about anything from copyright to editing tools.
You can expect to meet some very keen Wikimedians; however, this is also an open invite for anyone interested in finding out more about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects such as Wikimedia Commons, Wikiversity and WikiSource.
New and prospective editors are also very welcome.
The pub is quite quiet and family-friendly on a Sunday lunchtime, so younger Wikimedians will also feel welcome and safe. Alcohol consumption is not compulsory!
The pub has an accessible loo on the ground floor. There are some sections of the pub that are only accessible by steps, but we always meet in the main step free section, usually opposite the main doors.
Location: Penderel's OakEdit
It's easy to find us – we're usually the crowd with several laptops on the large tables straight ahead of you when you enter the pub. If not, then look for a tabletop Wikimedia UK banner and laptops with Wikipedia stickers on them. Wikimania Tshirts can also be a good clue.
||Chancery Lane||0.2 miles
The Penderel's Oak is between Holborn tube station and Chancery Lane tube station. Farringdon tube and Thameslink station is not too far, nor is City Thameslink (0.6 miles; 950m), albeit this station is closed on Sundays. The pub is also within walking distance of Waterloo railway station (1.3 miles; 2 km), St Pancras railway station (1.2 miles; 1.9 km) and Kings Cross.
Several bus routes also go directly to Holborn station; if travelling from Waterloo, it is quicker to travel by bus than by tube.
Bike hire (TfL scheme) is in Red Lion Street, just opposite the pub.
Visit the TfL Journey Planner for more information about your fastest route.
In the rare event of a kitchen closure or another problem at the Penderel's Oak, the meetup will be relocated to the Shakespeare's Head – another Wetherspoons pub located nearby. To get there from the Penderel's Oak, when exiting onto the street turn left, then when walking past Holborn tube station turn left again down Kingsway, and after a short walk the pub will be found on the left-hand side.