Mediation planning group
The goal of the Mediation Planning Group (which is absolutely informal) is to develop an organization on Meta-Wiki with the stated goal of providing every Wikimedian of every project and language a means to settle conflicts that may arise, but will defer to local dispute resolution systems when available.
To be filled out as we work.
- Mediation is here to help the users involved in a conflict find a resolution.
- This proposal isn't a stepping-stone to greater power, it's not the foundation for a cabal, nor is it a seat of authority from which to dictate policy.
- Mediation is voluntary.
- At no point should anyone feel either pressed into service as a mediator or compelled to be a party. We do not punish those who prefer to avoid mediation.
- Mediation is not arbitration.
- Mediators are not given any more authority or right than they have if they are not mediators.
- Mediation is transparent.
- The final organization will not have secrets kept from the community, no closed mailing lists, and no private wikis. It will discuss concerns and findings in cases openly and without guile.
- In the event that there exists a local dispute resolution system, the request must contain an explanation as to why the local system either was not used or the outcome was unfair.
- In large communities, we may suggest that the community consider developing its own dispute resolution system. It is a request only and not mandatory.
- Mediation is not language specific.
- While this page is currently English-only, this is more a function of that language's ubiquity on the internet. Translations of every page are acceptable. The language selection system will be decided upon later.
Please note that this is a list of those who are interested in developing the group, not those who will be members. Anyone is free to join in discussion, signing here simply notes that you express an interest in the concept. Please sign by appending * ~~~~ to the list.
- ~Kylu (u|t) 00:00, 25 March 2008 (UTC)
- --Kim Bruning 01:57, 26 March 2008 (UTC) interesting enough to watch
- --Seddon69 00:30, 25 March 2008 (UTC) given my quest to improve the DR process at en-wikipedia id be very interested to give my views and imput here.
- --Vassyana 02:27, 26 March 2008 (UTC) Helping people reaching agreeable (or at least tolerable) consensus is important in wiki-driven projects. I'm active in multiple steps of en.wiki's dispute resolution process and would enjoy the opportunity to help develop this idea.
- habj 16:39, 27 March 2008 (UTC) Don't know how much I can help, but will keep an eye
- Leafman 03:12, 30 March 2008 (UTC)
- Grandmaster 04:26, 7 April 2008 (UTC)
- --Cometstyles 10:04, 11 April 2008 (UTC)
- --Mardetanha talk 03:52, 30 July 2008 (UTC)
- Huji 08:19, 1 August 2008 (UTC)