About the bot
2019 Coolest Tool Award Winner
in the category
InternetArchiveBot is an advanced bot that identifies and replaces broken external links. InternetArchiveBot makes other enhancements to references as well, including filling out bare reference templates and adding links to resources where appropriate. InternetArchiveBot monitors every Wikimedia wiki for new outgoing links and actively makes fixes on over 150 Wikimedia wikis. This bot is operated as a service of the Internet Archive in partnership with the Wikimedia community.
Starting and stopping the bot
- Blocking the bot is not necessary to stop it.
- Click "View Run Pages" below. Make sure the correct wiki is selected from the drop-down menu at the top.
- If the page says: "This wiki is: Enabled"
- To disable the bot, write the reason why the bot should be disabled, then click "Disable".
- Leave a message on User talk:InternetArchiveBot explaining why you disabled the bot. Include bad edits that have been made.
- If the page says: "This wiki is: Disabled"
- To enable the bot, write the reason why the bot should be enabled, then click "Enable".
- First, make sure the bot has consensus to run on your wiki. Follow your wiki's bot policies.
- If the bot was disabled due to bugs such as making incorrect edits, make sure those bugs have been fixed first.
- If the bot is blocked, please leave a message at User talk:InternetArchiveBot immediately.
- Even if the bot is not running on a given wiki, the Internet Archive create archives of almost every new external link added to every Wikimedia wiki, and has been since 2013. If a bot is blocked or disabled on a wiki, it does not stop this work.
Configuring the bot
The bot's behavior can be changed to suit the wikis needs. This is done by updating values in on the configuration page of the interface. Click the link below to access the configuration page. Make sure the correct wiki is selected from the drop-down menu at the top. Only administrators can edit the configuration for a given wiki.
Using the bot
Requesting specific articles
You can use the Analyze a Page interface to fix dead links, or to add archive links to all links, on a specific page. Edits made using this tool will be attributed to you. Make sure the correct wiki is selected from the drop-down menu at the top.
You can also queue the bot to run on multiple pages. These articles will be added to InternetArchiveBot's queue of edits to make.
Help with translation
InternetArchiveBot's management interface is available in many languages thanks to volunteer translators. Your help with translation is greatly appreciated. Visit translatewiki.net to help.
- Original Developer: Cyberpower678
- Maintainers: Cyberpower678, Harej, GreenC
- Past Contributors: Kaldari, Niharika, Wikimedia Foundation Community Tech
For the most up to date information see the run pages or Wiki Operations Summary on Airtable
- 🟢 InternetArchiveBot is currently running on 150+ Wikimedia wikis.
- 🟡 The bot is being tested on Japanese Wikipedia (ja).
- 🔴 Bot is approved but disabled indefinitely pending software improvements on Afrikaans Wikipedia (af), Bulgarian Wikipedia (bg), French Wikipedia (fr), MediaWiki.org, and Portuguese Wikipedia (pt)
- 🔴 Bot is blocked pending software improvements on Polish Wikipedia (pl)
Last updated: 19:52, 25 March 2023 (UTC)
- برادری ٹیک/مردہ بیرونی روابط کو محفوظ شدہ دستاویزات میں منتقل کریں — وکیمیڈیا تنظیم برادری ٹیک ٹیم کا سابقہ کام
- Wayback Medic – set of complementary scripts to InternetArchiveBot
- Dead link fix report
- reFill tool for improving citations