Ig Wiki Librarians Hub
The IG Wiki Librarians Hub is an active community of Wikimedians, comprised of librarians and other participants, who are dedicated to contributing to the Igbo Wikimedians User Group and various projects under the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF). The group is always eager to exchange ideas and work collaboratively with individuals or organizations that share similar goals. It is an integral part of the larger Igbo Wikimedians User Group.
After participating in the 2020 online pilot cohort of the Wikipedia in African Libraries course, Goodness Ignatius recognized the importance of increasing librarians involvement and raising awareness of training opportunities in Nigeria. To this end, she took the initiative to organize a tutorial session for new editors at Nnamdi Azikiwe University in Awka, Anambra State, under the auspices of the Igbo Wikimedians User Group. The goal of this training, titled "ABC of Editing Wikipedia" was to promote increased participation and to improve the quality of Nigerian content on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia Foundation projects. The training was a resounding success, and Goodness was inspired by the level of engagement, feedback, and impact it had.
Determined to continue her efforts, Goodness was encouraged by the impact, involvement and feedback of the training and she decided to organize more trainings with the aim of recruiting more librarians and interested participants in Nigeria for involvement in the Wikimedia Foundation projects. To provide ongoing support and guidance, a Telegram group was created for follow-up and discussions.
To become an online community for librarians who use and support Wikimedia projects, and to promote the vital role that libraries play as custodians of open knowledge.
To innovate, promote best practices, and facilitate knowledge-sharing among librarians who collaboratively contribute to Wikimedia projects. We strive to empower librarians to contribute in the Wikimedia community, advocate for open knowledge, and highlight the importance of libraries as essential partners in advancing the open knowledge movement.
The objectives of the IG Wiki Librarians Hub are to:
- Raise awareness and encourage greater participation among librarians and other participants in the Igbo Wikimedia projects.
- Provide training and support for librarians and other participants in editing and translating articles into the Igbo language.
- Organize events and activities that not only recruit new editors but also engage and encourage the involvement of existing members, fostering continuity and growth within the community.
- Promote and encourage librarians to actively participate in library and librarian events, as well as other events hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation. By doing so, the group aims to foster a collaborative and supportive community for librarians and other participants by facilitating communication and exchange of ideas through regular meetings and online platforms.
Founding members edit
- Tochi Precious Friday - Co-founder
- Goodness Ignatius - Co-founder, Coordinator/Facilitator
- Kingsley Nkem - Organizer
- Dr. Nkem Osuigwe
Outreach in Awka
Pratical editing session with smartphones during the ABC of Wikipedia editing
After training session photograph (ABC of Wikipedia editing)
Participants of ABC of editing wikipedia training in Awka