The committee reviews applications and supports applicants throughout their grants.
Questions about joining the committee? Contact simple
Simple Annual Plan Grants Committee
The committee currently has five active members, with terms listed below:
The committee currently has three people who have suspended membership and may rejoin:
We are currently not accepting new members.
- Sufficient facility with English, for reviewing and discussing grant proposals in English.
- Experience with the Wikimedia movement, including experience contributing to at least one Wikimedia project.
- Experience with Wikimedia programs, in addition to contributions to the online projects.
- Committee members must understand and value diversity, including cultural, linguistic, and gender differences.
- Commitment to the Friendly Space Expectations, and to engaging in supportive dialogue with applicants and grantees.
- Consistent record of constructive engagement in community discussions, and an orientation toward collaborative problem solving.
- Committee members must be volunteers who are not paid by the Wikimedia Foundation or any Wikimedia organization. No WMF or affiliate staff may join the committee while they are serving in paid roles.
Nominees with these qualifications will be given preference:
- Experience in a leadership role with a volunteer-focused organization.
- Relevant expertise, such as organizational development, institutional partnerships, or volunteer management.
- Experience reviewing annual plan grant proposals, or significant experience reviewing other types of grant proposals.
- A demonstrated commitment to sharing skills and experience, and helping others in the Wikimedia movement grow.
- Increasing geographic, gender, or age diversity, or experience with different Wikimedia projects not yet represented.
Guidelines for engagement:
- Ability to commit to more extensive proposal review during the month of November, and to be available to review smaller numbers of proposals throughout the year. If you are not available to work on a proposal, you will need to let Program Staff know when the proposal is submitted so that we can plan to make sure each proposal will have sufficient review. Otherwise the expectation is that each committee member will be available to review each proposal. If you are not active enough, you may be replaced by a more active member because there is limited space on the committee.
- Members may themselves apply for Simple Annual Plan Grants on behalf of their organizations, but must recuse from reviewing their proposal or other proposal for which they may have a potential bias. Membership on the Simple Annual Plan Grants Committee does not conflict with membership of other Wikimedia committees, except for the Funds Dissemination Committee. Current members of the Funds Dissemination Committee cannot also be on the Simple Annual Plan Grants Committee, although past members of the Funds Dissemination Committee are welcome. This is because commitments to extensive proposal review coincide for both committees during the month of November.
- There will be a focused period of committee engagement during the month of November, to review the first round of proposals. This will require on wiki proposal review and discussion, as well as regular calls with the committee and a brief written assessment of each proposal. For most committee members, this will amount to 2-3 hours a week during the month of November.
- Other opportunities to engage will happen throughout the year, as applicants can join the pilot at any time during the year.
- While committee members are not required to engage with every single application, we do ask that members notify the rest of the committee if they are unable to participate in a particular discussion due to other commitments.
- Active participation in Email discussions and calls is essential, since we need a minimum number of participants in each discussion to make good decisions as a group. Inactive members will be automatically rolled off the committee at the conclusion of their terms, or may be replaced by active members during the course of their terms.
- No new members at this time. Questions about joining the committee? Contact simplewikimedia.org.