Grants:Project/Vsuarezp/Wiki loves Rural Areas - Bimenes
A more ambitious project that WikiBimenes I could not develop in 2017.
What is the problem you're trying to solve?Edit
The purpose is to further develop the Wikimedia projects expanding the number of contributors and consolidating the experience using, mainly, a minority language (Asturian) in a rural setting (Bimenes) with an older population. I want to develop a pilot project for future collaborations in Cider Commonwealth area and others municipalities.
What is your solution?Edit
In Spain there have been a number of successful collaboration efforts, but this provides a unique opportunity in Asturias to create a long-term collaboration with rural population in Asturian and Spanish. This is not the first collaboration with Bimenes since in June 2016 I realized a training workshop on Wikipedia that was attended by several neighbors (including the mayor of the locality) and, in August 2017, we celebrated there the Wikimeetup 50,000 articles in Asturian language. After two years of contacts with local institutions they are willing to free as much content as their legal department allows them, including old documents, pictures or recordings. Also different associations of different sectors like folklorics (dance and bagpipes), association of elderly people and retirees, rural women and youth groups are interested in supporting a project with these characteristics.
Is this grant being requested by an organization, a group, or an individual?
Which existing Wikimedia projects and language versions will be better served or impacted as a result of this project?
Asturian and Spanish Wikipedia, strongly involving other Wikimedia projects like Commons, Wikisource, Wikidata, and WikiVoyage.
- Develop a strong collaboration with institutions and people of Bimenes to improve and increase the available content and media of this municipality with a free license in several Wikimedia projects.
- Involve a rural population and encourage them to participate in Wikimedia projects using their minority language. This fact is important because Bimenes is the only municipality where the Asturian is official (De facto) with much support from the population.
- Casa les radios (The Radio House) The Radio House is located in an avant-garde building in Suares. The exhibition consists of two unique collections (including Marconi or Edison radios), one collected by José Alonso Onís and ceded by the municipality of Oviedo, which, according to inventory, consists of 340 pieces (phonographs, jukeboxes, microphones, records, etc.) and one collected by the Suares Neighbourhood Association, consisting of 144 receivers.
- Historical archive of Bimenes has catalogued over 849 boxes and 385 books archive collections mostly from the 20th century but unique to know the history of the municipality. The oldest documents that are conserved are the four volumes of the Cadastre of Ensenada, dated 1761, minutes of the plenary session since 1859 and general replacement files and enlistment records since 1888.
- Bimenes library, source of fundamental documentation to refer bibliographically. This rural library won the state award "María Moliner" dedicated to Book Reading Animation, efficiency in library work, social integration and use of new technologies.
Initially, this project will last 4 months, but this could be extended by the institutions. Vsuarezp will be dedicated to this coordination task; 6 days per week.*
*Note: This is not "paid editing". The articles will be created by the users, my role will be to coordinate all activities and help with uploading images and documentation.
This project includes:
- Wiki training sessions where participants learn to edit Wikimedia projects, especially Wikipedia, use tools such as Visual Editor and the Content Translation Tool and Commons to upload all the images.
- Coordinate the creation or improvement of articles about Bimenes in the wiki training sessions. Right now there is very little presence in Wikipedia and other projects, so the participants in the sessions can create or improve content focused in history and geography, parishes, culture (language, feasts and traditions, clothing and Ethnography...) economy and climate of Bimenes. Also articles of the relevant exhibits and artefacts in the museums. Both in Asturian and Spanish.
- Talks about Wikipedia and the sister projects of the Wikimedia movement: for the council staff* and public.
* The largest institutions in the locality are willing to participate: The Radio House, the Archive, the library and the townhall staff (Including the computer teacher or even the mayor). In the various activities, professionals from other sectors such as school teachers and free-time monitors are very likely to be involved.
- Highlight and focus on the participation of rural women. In fact, right now there is not even an article by a woman from Bimenes, so it's necessary involve women in the creation.
- Help to catalog on Wikidata and help to publish articles in Wikipedia about the local archive and upload most relevant documents to Wikisource (including valuable Cadastre of Ensenada, actually there is no material about this valuable document in all Wikimedia projects). Also, help to catalog in Wikidata and help to publish articles in Wikipedia about radios of The Radio House.
- Coordinate donation of old images by the Town Hall and the neighbors in the different activities which later they will be uploaded to Commons by the users. For the images donated by the Town Hall will create an institutional account called User:Conceyu Bimenes managed by municipal staff.
- To establish a long-term productive relationship between the council and the Wikimedia movement.
- Project budget table
|Staff expenses as freelancer||€ 1,350||€ 5400||(including taxes: Freelancer tax, Value-added tax and Personal Income Tax) as coordinator of activities and trainer|
|External economic management||€ 50||€ 200||4 months to manage taxes properly and make invoices with a foreign country|
|Portable wifi||€ 32||1 month to work in places without wifi|
|Travel spending||€ 115||€ 460||2 trips a day Oviedo-Bimenes and Bimenes-Oviedo by car (There is no public transport that travels the route) and several travels by car around Bimenes (this budget item does not cover all expenses, but I assume the rest)|
|Total||€ 6,092 / $ 7,243|
- Total cost of project
- € 6,092 / $ 7,243
- This project fits the strategy by increasing participation from new contributors to edit and with content donations (text/images/audio).
- Improvement of the image of Wikimedia associating its name with these institutions.
- Some of population are women; if we increase the number of female editors, public or staff, we can improve the ratio of women editors in the Wikimedia movement.
- Improving the quality of content thanks to the collaboration of cultural institutions and re-licensing of content with Creative Commons.
- This project will increase reach by working in a location that have historically it has been separated from the edition and to which we arrived through its local language.
- The project will increase reach through the use of social media, to engage in a wide and diverse audience through social media content.
- The project fits with the Foundation's goal to increase participation by holding wiki training sessions, following up on these editors and using this information to create a best practices handbook that will allow others to utilize this information to build on successful participation events.
Measures of successEdit
- Articles and items
- The goal is at least 150 new articles (related to Bimenes or that use material created or released in this project) and extensive improvement of all existing.
- Create at least 600 new Wikidata items during wiki training sessions.
- People involved
- We want to involve a considerable number of inhabitants of Bimenes in the sum of all our activities reaching, at least, 10% of the population: 174 people.
- Have at least 40% female participation. An ambitious goal that we hope to fulfill with the involvement of the women's associations of the municipality.
- Staff training: at least one for the Archive, the library and other one for The townhall staff but may receive more in cases of they need it.
- Wiki training sessions for the public: 1 weekly distributed in different places (The Radio House, Public School, House of Culture, Telecentre...)
- As a consequence of all the activities and with everything learned from the experience the Asturian Wikipedia Community will create a handbook in Asturian language: In our language there is none so this would be the first. In addition we can not use models since this manual would be directed to the Asturian rural population keeping in mind the resources that they have to edit.
- Images and documents
- We want to get 1,200 images between the donations and the new ones that are photographed for the project.
- The four volumes of the Cadastre of Ensenada (XVIII century) and tens of XIX, XX and XXI century documents.
- Evaluation of the quality of the images and products obtained.
- The use of images in Wikimedia projects and their suitability to content.
- The reuse and derivative works, adaptation or translations from images and materials produced.
- Exhibition produced
- Exhibitions presented around the municipality
- A program-calendar of places to go done
- Feedback from people where the exhibition travels
- Qualitative feedback and coverage
- Feedback from all local people and wikipedians (using surveys, given out after each event, improve the quality of the wiki training session to session)
- Media coverage
- Facilitate an official agreement between the Conceyu Bimenes (Bimenes municipality) and local wikimedians to future collaboration.
Community input and participation helps make projects successful. How will you let others in your community know about your project? Why are you targeting a specific audience? How will you engage the community you’re aiming to serve during your project?
The project will benefit all Wikimedia projects (in Asturian and Spanish mainly), Wikipedia, of course, but also sister projects such as Wikidata, Wikisource, Commons and Wikivoyage.
Please enter your username here. If your team has more than 1 grantee, you can add more people below.
Please provide an email address (or a username that can receive email) that we can use to contact you. This will be shown publicly.
- (Coordinator) Vsuarezp: Wikimedia user since 2006, mainly in Asturian Wikipedia, over 87,000 contributions including more than 4.800 new articles in Asturian. Collaborator of BiblioWikiAsturias project, training and assisting more than 50 librarians from Asturias. Member of Wikimedia España (since 2014), participating in the organization of various activities such as edit-a-thons, talks and training sessions (University of Oviedo, San Martín del Rey Aurelio and Gijón Municipality...) Degree in Schoolteaching (with specialty of Asturian language), with additional formation and experience in translation, ITC, research and web design.
- (Volunteer) Oriciu: Within his time availability, He is ready to join this project by explaining some technical details to new wikipedians. He is able to give some background info on related projects such as Commons, Wikidata and OSM.
- (People of Bimenes and Town Hall): User accounts will be created for workshops attendees and the content created or donated by the Town Hall will be uploaded from the account Conceyu Bimenes.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a Village Pump, talk page, mailing list, etc.--> Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
In Our Village pump.
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- I agree with the idea that the majority of Asturian Wikipedia collaborators reside in urban environments, although a good part comes from the rural world, so promoting and disseminating wikipedia in rural areas would encourage the incorporation of new collaborators, without forgetting that In these places, the habitual use of the Asturian language prevails. --Fotoasturias (talk) 12:15, 6 February 2018 (UTC)
- Most Wikipedia contributors come from urban environments. This project may help us to document best practices to spread our contributors base to rural places. As a Technical Ambassador, I am ready to participate as a volunteer (unpayed) to help with basic tech knowledge as needed by participants, Oriciu (talk) 17:36, 5 February 2018 (UTC)
- According with the movement view of «Knowledge as a service», this project will serve to a community we aren't reaching right now. It is important to point the use of a minority language. Language Diversity and Knowledge Diversity (Rural) will help to achieve the Movement's Vision and Mission. --Sahaquiel9102 (talk) 03:23, 6 February 2018 (UTC)
- Same as the first time, I think it is a great idea, I fully endorse the project. Last year's edition was a total success and a very good participation. Let's keep on with another one! --Esbardu (talk) 23:40, 6 February 2018 (UTC)
- One of the problems of Wikimedia is the serious bias that we have in terms of editors. The majority are English-speaking young males and from cities. If we really want to embrace all human knowledge, the movement needs urgently more diversity. We need to increase the participation of new users from different backgrounds, we need that farmers and people from rural areas can make their voices heard and show their knowledge. This project is magnificent because it brings all that the movement needs, a minority language and contributors from rural settings. I think that this project will have beneficial effects for many different platforms and projects of the Foundation. --Jalu (talk) 01:36, 8 February 2018 (UTC)
- This is a great project that will help develop a editor community in Bimenes and also in a minority language like Asturian. Projects like this are very important for the Wikimedian movement. Remux - Nunca Olvidaré, que me enamoré de la más hermosa flor. Ĉu mi povas helpi vin iel? 00:30, 5 November 2015 (UTC) 18:58, 10 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support Slowking4 (talk) 00:30, 12 March 2018 (UTC)