Grants:Project/Summer Wikicamp 2018 Azerbaijan
What is the problem you're trying to solve?Edit
We want to establish a good relationship between wikipedians, inform them about broader Wikimedia movement in the world, increase public awareness of Wikipedia and open data, add or improve content.
What is your solution?Edit
We think that wikicamps are the best way to strengthen relations between individuals rather than conferences in a big cities where people go home after sessions. Also it is easier to draw public interest to such events on TV and other media.
- Increase skills for existing editors;
- Recruit new editors;
- Increase public awareness of Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects at all;
- Add or improve content.
How will you know if you have met your goals?Edit
- We plan to include talks and edit-a-thons to camp program and all participants will be informed about camp program weeks before it starts. During talks we will inform users about latest news, different projects in Wikimedia Movement, about Wikidata tools and licensing rules for Commons. These are common problems and shortcomings of az-wiki, so we want users to be aware of these issues. Also users will create articles and take photos of notable sights of the region during the Wikicamp.
- We will be in touch with all participants via e-mail lists and Facebook once the project is over.
Do you have any goals around participation or content?Edit
- 40 az-wiki users will participate, 10 of them newly registered
- 120 new articles will be created in Azerbaijani Wikipedia
- 400 photos will be uploaded to Commons
We are planning a two-day editathon in WikiCamp format focused on adding and improving articles on different topics, also uploading photos to Commons. But before all of this we plan sessions about activities of Wikimedia organizations, opportunities of Wikidata and problems of az-wiki, and lightning talks. Organizers will create registration form, evaluate results of registration and choose participants, will find the place for the WikiCamp and make a trip for acquaintance, order printings, including booklets, roll-up and banner, mugs, pens, note-books and t-shirts with WMAZ trademarks, evaluate the results of the Wikicamp, prepare press-release about the camp and will follow-up with participants. Registration form will include mandatory fields for username, e-mail and mobile number, so we will be able to contact participants after the event and check their contributions for the purposes of this project.
|Item||Cost by unit (AZN)||Number||Total (AZN)||Total (USD)||Comments|
|Administration||850||1||850||500||It will be distributed among organizers depending on their role in the organization, as well as for phone calls and acquaintance trip to the hotel, photo and video coverage of the event and for accounting service.|
|Food||44||40||1,760||1,035.2||It will cover 5 meals and 4 tea breaks in two days.|
|Printings||50||40||2,000||1,176.4||Roll-up and banner, booklets, mugs, pens, note-books and t-shirts with WMAZ trademarks.|
|Unforeseen (%10)||714||420||In summertime most of the places are full and it can be hard to find normal place for that price we intend to find it. But the main problem we afraid is the slow internet connection, which can be solved by using mobile hotspot.|
To inform our community about the project we will use az-wiki site-notice and our user group's Facebook page which has more than 12,000 followers. We will target wikipedians and Wikimedia movement related people, but also we want to show to non-related people that Wikimedia projects has many contributors in Azerbaijan.
- Wertuose — sysop of az-wiki, group leader of WMAZ, organizer of different online and offline wiki events in Azerbaijan.
- Cekli829 — sysop of az-wiki, organizer and speaker in different offline wiki events.
- Eminn — sysop of az-wiki, speaker in different offline wiki events.
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- Attracting new users to Az.Wikipedia,expand existing articles, create new articles. Namikilisu (talk) 08:59, 31 January 2018 (UTC)
- I think that, this event will give good motivation to all of participants. Event may develop communication between all users. Qaramanoğlu (talk) 09:08, 31 January 2018 (UTC)
- From my point of view it will be very helpful for users of Az.Wikipedia to make acquaintance and share their experience with one-another. Holding this type of meetings on a regular basis forms an excellent motivational and communication tool that brings users to learn and share our national values together.--Elnur Neciyev (talk) 13:53, 31 January 2018 (UTC)
- Such an event will cause more Azerbaijanis to be interested in the Azerbaijani Wikipedia. It will also motivate the current users. We will also be able to hold a huge meeting and talk about the current problems and future of the "Vikipediya". Last year we uploaded 900 pictures to the "Summer WikiCamp Azerbaijan" category, maybe we will upload more this year --► Sincerely: Oy℧ᵰcu A¥khăn ⚔ (hail sithis!) 14:42, 31 January 2018 (UTC)
- I endorse this project as I believe it will enhance local interest towards Wikipedia. Furthermore, Wikipedia plays crucial role in some of the rural regions of Azerbaijan by providing them vital knowledge and skills.--Azerifactory (talk) 23:34, 31 January 2018 (UTC)
- I think that, this project will affect new users career and that will be a great experience for them. WikiCamp will improve articles quality. In my opinion, this project will increase public awareness of Wikipedia and will make an interest in public. We will share our opinions among us and that will increase articles actuality and effectivity. That's why, I think WikiCamp will be great experience for us. Mansourzadeh021 (talk) 16:47, 1 February 2018 (UTC)
- I support to this initiative. Wikicamp is necessary initiative that has proven to be effective in our community. Our community need this type of proven activities. --eldarado ✉ 17:08, 1 February 2018 (UTC)
- It is very important that such camps are held regularly every year. Now I live in Canada but my heart is with you. I believe that this meeting will be more beautiful. --Baskervill (talk) 06:31, 4 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support Slowking4 (talk) 00:29, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
- interesting project Mounir Touzri (talk) 22:33, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support --Rufet Turkmen (talk) 08:42, 3 May 2018 (UTC)
- Support--►Neriman2003 talk 09:58, 18 May 2018 (UTC)
- Official USD/AZN rate is 1.7001