- Produce audio-video content to promote QueeringWikipedia Conference 2021 as a first of its kind and a major Wikipedia LGBT+ User Group activity. Include also personal reflections and projects that emerged as responses in the present pandemic centering self-care (when we have to slow down, re-organize priorities and re-structure life).
- Release all media sources as an open content under Wikipedia Commons (to be available as templates for future use). Promote using social media platforms, on mailing lists and in other ways.
- community-based open AV content is essential for promoting new initiatives beyond just textual form
- voicing of LGBTQ+ individuals is essential for enabling visibility and inspiring future non-privileged knowledge production
- example of oral history project
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What is your promotion plan?
Produce short personal statements and animation videos from team organizers and participants answering questions: Why, What and How we see need and urgency for Queering Wikipedia and response to pandemic. Promote it by using Twitter, Instagram, Mastodon and other social networking services.
2. How will you let your community know about the promotion campaign?
- This is a short notice proposal so only idea was sent to User Group firstname.lastname@example.org and further discussed with organizing team on mailing list queering@Wikipedia.at, as well as on coordination meeting in April and direct private messaging.
3.Do you have any experience in online promotion or video production?
- Yes I am professionally trained in new media arts *(including web and video). I worked with #May17 online campaign of the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia (as consultant and member of IDAHOT Committee, reference Joel Bedos)
4. Do you or others in your team have the skills needed to manage the video production and promotional campaign?
- Yes and I will also work with at least one more collaborator (Milo De Prieto, videographer and educational content producer and Kyril Rubenstein, videographer and musician)
5. What’s your post promotion plan?
What do you plan to do after your campaign ends?
- Use this material to start developing collection of media statements and other material towards 20201 Conference
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- It is a bit less ambitious than originally suggested in an equerry email, but as everyone is busy and User Group also plans #1 meeting in assembly form it should be moderate start and hopefully expand in following months. Videos should feature and elaborate on at least 4 different profiles in terms of gender identity, sexual orientation, language, cultural and professional background.
This experimental proposal is inspired by The Human Library and Fishbowl conversation, that were online adaptation from the original plan of start session for QueeringWikipedia 2020 (proposed by Z.Blace)
- Sample script-questions for statements of people interviewed:
- 1 what is Queering for you?
- 2 how do you see Queering Wikipedia?
- 3 do you have a queer/wikipedian response to pandemic? (maybe a minute for each)
- Some more concrete ideas about videos (+podcasts):
- audio statements would be made in both English and native language of speaker and published maybe as podcasts and-or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Spoken_Wikipedia *(though it has a banner that is not really much active?)I also think I saw somewhere that there is a new audio project in making by WMF, but could not trace it back.
- video should be made from audio statements + soundscape and documentary footage of the speaker (if approved)+visualization. Form should depend much about the level of privacy of the individual and elaboration of answers, but should include some basic info. Videos should have titled basic info (pronoun+username or name) and subtitles in at least 2 languages for accessibility.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals?
Videos inform wikimedians of some of the motivations and urgencies for LGBTIQ+ wikipedians to self-organize and influence a larger system. Videos inform wider LGBTIQ+ population of efforts done on wikipedia/Wikimedia to do better in understanding and meeting their needs.
Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of people reached (saw the ad) 2000
- Number of video views (saw the video) 1000
- Number of link clicks (clicked on the link to visit project/campaign page) 800
- Number of campaign participants (edited or contributed) 6
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- none for now (would apply for free google ads for non-profits)
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 800USD for video production of 4 different videos
- 400USD video editing and graphics composing
- 300USD audio and sound mix
- 100USD subtitles and publishing
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!