Grants:Project/Rapid/Yoruba Wikimedians User Group/AfroCuration For Covid-19
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- The AfroCuration For Covid-19 is a project in partnership with the Moleskine Foundation to make available important articles relating to COVID-19 in the Yoruba language. This involves the translation of these articles from English to the Yoruba language and promoting the articles on social media to improve readership. More information about this project can be found here
The goals of the project include
- Translation of COVID-9 articles into the Yoruba language
- Promote the readership level of local languages
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing contributors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- The Moleskine Foundation has identified important topics relating to Covid-19. Some of these articles are documented here. These contents would be translated into Yoruba language by volunteers who are professional translators and editors of Wikipedia. Once these articles are translated, they would be sponsored/promoted on social media to promote readership and also recruit new editors for Yoruba Wikipedia.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- We have the following platforms for discussions
- WhatsApp group
- Mailing list
- Twitter and Facebook fan page.
The project would be shared on these platforms.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- We will follow up with volunteers via WhatsApp and phone calls. This has worked well in the past
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project: The project would be considered successful
- If at least 20 people participate
- If at least 50 COVID-19 articles are translated
- If the site view increases by at least 50%
- If at least 5 new editors are recruited
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have the following resources
- Experienced editors to coordinate the project
- Electronic devices (laptops, modems, etc)
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Internet support USD 300
- Alternative power supply USD 200
- Social media promotion 500 USD
- Contingency USD 100
- Total budget = USD 1,100 (424,600 NGN)