Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content
- Recruit new editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The contest will be focused on Ukrainian and World classical music written or translated into Ukrainian language. Though we have already managed some projects to collect free audio and/or video- recordings, a lot of world classical music in Ukrainian language remain unpublished anywhere and therefore unknown. Our aim is to open a free access to all of this music.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- We have a web page about the project, a group in Facebook and also we will create announcement in Wikimeetup page in our local wiki. Ministry of culture also guaranteed to publish information about the competition in their official site.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- Prominent vocalists and musicologist will be invited to judge. Most of them are from Ukraine and participated in World classic in Ukrainian project before. One member of Jury we want to invite from abroad. This makes a Contest more respectable and attractive for participants.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- The strategy is following. All the contest auditions will be recorded as well as opening concert and final concert. The Contest rules clearly indicates that Organizing committee of the Contest have a right to publish any recording from the Contest under free license. Also the participant application will include a requirement to agree with Contest rules. Therefore we will have a lot of recordings from the contest and those that will be good enough will be uploaded to Wikimedia commons. Moreover, we will ask jury members and honourable guests to sing in the opening and/or final concert. In this case recordings from the concert as well as recordings from rehearsals could be considered for uploading to Wikimedia commons.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Additionaly, we are going to provide a master-class "Wikipedia and music: how to prepare and upload music to wikimedia commons". This could evolve more wiki editors to Wikipedia among musicians in future.
- This project will continue a "World classic in Ukrainian" initiative. The reports about previous projects of this series could be seen there - Grants:Project/Rapid/Mozart and Chopin in Ukrainian/Report, Grants:PEG/WM UA/Free Vocal Music concert/Report.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants - 30
- Number of audio and/or video uploaded to Wikimedia Commons - 60
- Number of audio and/or video used on Wikimedia projects - 40
- Total length of audio and/or video recordings uploaded to Wikimedia Commons - 180 min
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Ukrainian music union is an official co-organiser of the contest.
- Ministry of culture of Ukraine will partially support us. This support will include inviting jury members from Ukraine, renting hall and providing technical support (including video and audio recording).
- Community of poets around the project "Жінка-УКРАЇНКА" will help us with creating new translations under free licenses.
- Kyiv opera theatre library will help us with renewing classical opera translations
- Culture and Life magazine will help us with announcing the contest and preparing post-releases.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- We will need money for prizewinners. It is traditional to make two or more age categories for vocal contest. We will have to categories - younger (up to 25 years old) and older (26 years old or more). Aproximate amount of prizes is following:
- 1st prize - 4000 UAH
- 2st prize - 3000 UAH
- 3st prize - 2000 UAH
And request those prizes for younger category
- 1st prize - 4000 UAH
- 2st prize - 3000 UAH
- 3st prize - 2000 UAH
- According to our discussion it looks possible if prizes will not be just money in the envelope, but rather a gift certificate for studio recording, a set of music publication of the project or a notebook.
- We will need money to invite one jury member from abroad. Though we are going to invite prominent musicians from Ukraine (including PhD G.Hansburg, who is also an active wikipedia contributor) it would be much more respectable if we invite somebody who have an experience in European stage. Oksana Myronchuk, soloist of Den Norske opera and ballet agreed to be a jury member, to sing in the opening of the competition, and proposed a special prize for the best soprano. The only thing we must do for her is to bye a flight ticket from Oslo to Kyiv and return and pay for accommodation. The on and return ticket will cost approx. 222 USD.
The total budget is following
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Main Prizes||1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes in each of two age categories||Set of prizes||2||9 000||18 000||UAH||2 categories - younger (16-25 y.o.) and older (26+ y.o.).|
|2||Travel||Flight tickets for a jury member from abroad||On and return ticket||1||6 000||6 000||UAH||Flight Oslo-Kyiv-Oslo|
|3||Travel (internal)||Taxi from airport to city centre and return||trips||2||250||500||UAH||it is necessary to meat a jury member from abroad in airport and take her to hotel (and return - from hotel to airport).|
|4||Booklet||Competition booklet||booklets||60||80||4800||UAH||coloured printing, the approximate price calculated according to |
|6||Food & Beverages||Lunch for jury members||Per person||10*2||60||1200||UAH||Two competition days (main day and second day, before final concert)|
|7||Bank fees and exchange gain/loss||900||UAH|
|8||Taxes||Taxes on prize money||-||-||-||3240||UAH||18 % from the each prize (e.g. 18000 x 18 % in total)|
|9||Other||Hall rent, technical support and
inviting Jury members from Ukraine
|-||-||-||-||UAH||Sponsored by Ministry of culture of Ukraine|
Total 35280 UAH (aprox. 1344 USD)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- I know the ability of A1 to accomplish similar projects. The project will add much to free knowledge. Perohanych (talk) 16:20, 4 August 2017 (UTC)
- I support. Григорій Ганзбург (talk) 16:55, 4 August 2017 (UTC)
- Support, Павло Зубов (talk) 18:01, 4 August 2017 (UTC)
- support Z-ultimus (talk) 08:45, 7 August 2017 (UTC)
- Because it's GREAT. I think (well, I know), it's the real help to the Ukrainian culture. 126.96.36.199 09:07, 7 August 2017 (UTC)
- Absolutely support! Jbuket (talk) 11:52, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Yakudza (talk) 18:21, 25 August 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Visem (talk) 22:15, 14 September 2017 (UTC)