Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
See Campaign page for details and flyers.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add and improve existing content on Wikipedia and Commons
- Recruit new editors
- Expand the skill sets of existing editors from editing to adding images
- Engage existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The Wikimedia Community in Nigeria (users outside from various Nigerian schools, languages, hubs and usergroups not holding a WPWP contest) will focus on adding images to Wikipedia articles using existing files from Commons. This is important to us as it will help users know more about how to use Commons on other wiki and non wiki projects. The Nigerian community has had several contests, trainings and on-boarding of hundreds of new editors in previous years. This project brings us together digitally to see a new way to improve Wikipedia. A lot of new and aspiring Wikipedians think editing Wikipedia means you have to be extra genius, knowledgeable and get to write a lot. This project is one of the many ways we can demystify 'wikidifficulty' and freely share in the sum of all knowledge one image and article at a time.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- We would make use of the tens of Wikimedia WhatsApp communities that exist across Nigeria and make use of social media platforms.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
The article or section a participant is adding a photo should not have any previous image and the image has to be relevant.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- Asides from (re)introducing everyone to Commons generally and in line with this project, the tools and categories to get images to add to the Wikipedia articles will be explored as provided in the resources page of the parent contest.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project? In terms of this grant, no offline (in-person) meetups will be organized due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This grant is not for or associated with the Wikimedia User Group in Nigeria. It is an individual grant for a contest that would transcend Wikimedia Fan Club University of Ibadan, Wikimedia Fan Club University of LASU, Abuja Wikimedia Hub, Ilorin Wikimedia Hub, several more Wikimedia related clusters in Nigeria and new users.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 150
- Number of articles are improved with photos: 3000
- Number of new editors: 30
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Daniel- (Project and Campaign lead) - Daniel is an open source enthusiast. He has led Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ilorin, co-cordinated Wikipedia Instagram Campaign, and Wiki Loves Africa 2017. I will be in charge of making the noise towards this project and hoping excited participants in.
- Agbalagba - (Training Coordinator) Agbalagba is one of the most active contributors to the Yoruba Wikipedia.
- Precious Ayara - (Panelist) - Engineer Precious Ayara is the founding lead of Edo Wikimedia Hub and is passionate about data. Data is how we choose the winners. Precious will painstakingly use Summary x Sigma and Hashtags x WMFLabs to compile participant activities, investigate quality and recommend winners.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
Internet subscription (For the team members, during the project and post-project for report writing): $330
Branding and Social media promotion: $300
Airtime for communication: $73
Logistics to dispatch prizes: $102
2nd prize: Multifunction Jump Starter Power Bank,15,000mAh For Laptops: $175
3rd prize: Western Digital 2TB External Hard Drive - USB 3: $51.28
WPWP branded shirts for top 10 new participants: (7.73 each) $77.31
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- This project proposal provides a great opportunity to improve the skills of volunteers in Nigeria. Timmylegend (talk) 01:19, 16 June 2020 (UTC)
- Support When a Wikipedia article has pictures relating to the subject, it helps users better understand the content of the article. Also, this will encourage the addition of more pictures to Wikipedia Commons to be used in the articles. Mutiat Mustapha (talk) 04:36, 16 June 2020 (UTC)
- Support This project would help improve the user experience of many Wikipedia readers so they don't find it boring. Also users can see the image of what they are reading about. Livingstone Imonitie (talk) 09:37, 16 June 2020 (UTC)
- Support I support this project because I believe it's important to improve the user experience of many Wikipedia readers. Audrey Lebioda, Nationalmuseum (talk) 16:59, 16 June 2020 (UTC)
- Support This program will be responsible for new community interactions in the Nigerian community and it will also help improve the Wikimedia Commons skills of most participants.
- Volunteer Hi, Daniel.
Kindly hit me you with ways in which I can help on this project.