- Socialize with community members, and formalize the LA User Group
- Recruit new editors and facilitate discussions about Wikipedia
- Educate new and veteran editors on Wikidata
Wikipedia Day LA is being by a five Wikipedians: Kai Alexis, Julie Farman, Phyllis Hansen, Richard Knipel and Paula Kate Marmor.
The program is focused on Los Angeles. We'll have a keynote speech by a LA historian, and panel discussions with archivists and educators. There's a presentation planned on Wikidata, flash sessions, and a discussion related to creating a user group is scheduled. We may (or may not) have dramatic readings of talk pages related to Los Angeles. (For example, the Talk Page for the Hollywood Bowl article: "What are those things growing out of the arch? The article really does not explain the reason, purpose for the three huge, ugly periscopes sticking out of the arch shell. The must be some reason for destroying the aesthetics of the arch. Whose stupid idea was it to do it in this manner?" Fotoguzzi (talk) 15:13, 9 June 2014).
We'll promote the event on the Wikipedia LA Facebook groups, the Wikipedia LA Twitter. A mass message was sent to LA editors (410 people), and we've had watchlist spam running for several weeks. We'll also promote Wikipedia Day LA at the Art+Feminism events that take place in March. A press release will be serviced to relevant media when the schedule is finalized.
We'll collect email addresses and usernames of attendees to follow up, and continue to engage with the social media communities.
- Number of total participants: 35
- An LA User group is formalized
- A monthly/bi-monthly event calendar for LA Wikipedians is developed.
- Ace Hotel: rental space, staff support, soft beverages for 50, PR support, parking, gratuity: $3400.00
- Additional parking for volunteers/speakers/panelists: $150.00
- Snacks for attendees, purchased through the Ace Hotel, Los Angeles. $200.
- Materials such as posterboards, handouts, name badges, sharpies, etc. $100
- A cake/cupcakes to celebrate Wikipedia's birthday! $200
- Miscellaneous expenses and volunteer reimbursement: $100.
- Total budget: $4150.00, less In-kind donation from the Ace Hotel: $3400., Funds requested: $750.00 (Please see discussion page.)